• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cable/switchbox stuff

ravuya

Experienced Member
OK, this is probably going to be an ugly and boring discussion for everyone, so I'll get my questions out of the way.

I have an Atari 800XL, connected to an ancient television (which I want to get rid of) using a Coleco switchbox and the Coleco video/audio cable. The ColecoVision I stole these things from probably should have them back at some point, so I need to find a new one of those cables (are they just generic RF cables? Can I buy them at Radio Shack?).

The TV/GAME switchbox currently is wired into the TV using two small cable clips that you can screw in. It scares the daylights out of me. ;) None of my other TV's or my TV card on my PC have those, so I'd like to ditch the switchbox and hook it up to a modernized television.. which brings me to my next question.

Secondly, I've heard I can just pick up a random RF adaptor, run the AV cable to it, and then screw it down into a modern TV's co-ax antenna. Correct? Can anyone point me toward a good one to look at?

Thanks

There are tons of different solutions to this problem.

I've got a fairly generic RF modulator that works for my C64, Vic-20, Atari and TI systems, for instance. It has screw terminals like yours (I've got a really old 19" for these machines) but I've also got an "adaptor" that allows the screw terminals to be attached to a female coax cable for newer sets.

For some systems you can just plug the video out into the RCA jacks for video in on one of your components. My VCR has a front-mounted RCA setup (red, black and yellow - yellow is the video) that I can plug some of my systems into.

Radio Shack does have some RF modulators that have a variety of inputs and outputs, but they are pretty expensive ($80+ last time I looked).

Good luck!

Erik

I have yet to test it myself, but I think you can get the game adapters for Nintendo, PS1/2 etc from WalMart or wherever to work on those. I haven't had the chance to try it myself yet, the inputs and connections are essentially the same, though you'll probably need some cheap adapters.

Nathan

I've got a fairly generic RF modulator that works for my C64, Vic-20, Atari and TI systems
That just the TV/Game switch, not RF modulator.

The Nintedndo and newer TV/Game switches will not work (without modification to the RF modualtor in the computer), with the comnputers the manual TV/Game switches
were used with, and vice-versa. Tohse send a DC voltage down the coax to switch from TV to game. (I modded my colecovision to work off an NES switch).

I'd recmmend getting a coaxial A/B switch, and one of those RCA to coax adaptors.

Back