• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can a UK SX-64 using 110v 60Hz

thefox1980

Experienced Member
What risk is there to attempting to run a SX-64 spec`d for UK mains on US mains?
i.e. Component damage?
Portions not functioning due to undervoltage or incorrect phase?

If it is a 'universal' supply (designed specifically for 110V to 250V operation) - probably not much.

If it isn't a universal supply, don't do it. In your case, it will probably not work due to the reduced voltage. Either purchase a replacement PSU or run it from a step up transformer.

You may also find that the video output from a UK specified machine is PAL rather than NTSC.

Dave

Ordinary UK and US mains power are both single-phase AC, so that's no different. What is different is the line frequency: UK is 50 Hz and US is 60 Hz. I doubt the SX-64 cares too much about this.

What is likely to matter a lot is the line voltage. Doing a Google image search for "sx-64 rear" turns up a lot of images of information labels that make it appear that the PSU only expects one line voltage. For example:

1658348865733.png

At best, things just won't work if you plug this machine into a US outlet. At worst, you'll damage something.

I see that the specification does call for 50 Hz current; I think that if you got a step-up transformer and converted 120 VAC @ 60 Hz to 230 VAC @ 60 Hz, the machine would work OK. Doing voltage AND frequency conversion is pretty hard.

If the power supply uses a transformer, the transformer losses are a function of the supply frequency. An increase in the mains frequency from 50Hz to 60Hz could result in higher transformer losses. As a result, the power supply could run hotter at 60Hz than it would do when run at 50Hz.

Dave

Dave,

What you say is partially true.. but you have it backwards in this case.

A xfmr spec'd for 50Hz operation should work fine on 60Hz. The converse isn't always true, though. So UK gear should run fine on US mains, so long as you use the correct voltage.

In the case of the SX or C-64, the jiffy clock will run too fast, as it's referenced to line frequency.

I'm wondering if replacing the internal UK supply with a 5v/12v meanwell along with the proper 9va transformer might work
The SX uses 5v 3-4A, 12v 3A and 9VAC which I believe only the user port makes use of

I would like to remind you that the United States also has a 240v power grid. We just use a center tap on our mains transformers that give us two 120v legs. Every American household has 240 available in it somewhere. Just look around.

Now all you gotta worry about is 50hz vs 60hz.

Dave,

What you say is partially true.. but you have it backwards in this case.

A xfmr spec'd for 50Hz operation should work fine on 60Hz. The converse isn't always true, though. So UK gear should run fine on US mains, so long as you use the correct voltage.

In the case of the SX or C-64, the jiffy clock will run too fast, as it's referenced to line frequency.
That will teach me for replying to a post just before I went to bed without checking my facts. I had a 50:50 chance of getting it right!

The AC impedance of a transformer winding is directly proportional to the frequency - so increasing the frequency increases the impedance and (hence) reduces the current consumption - and, therefore, the losses. In a simplistic manner that is...

In this case, you are fine as Wim has stated.

The problem with a centre-tapped transformer is that you have 110V-0-110V (effectively two lives rather than one live and one neutral) fed to the supply. The single power supply fuse will be in the 'live' conductor - but you now have two lives - so the equipment will still be dangerous under these circumstances... I wouldn't do it! The equipment would need to be specifically designed for this mode of supply - and it isn't.

Dave

Last edited:
Back