• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can someone tell me what this external Tandy HDD goes to? I honestly dont remember.

VERAULT

Veteran Member
Spring Cleaning. This was at the bottom of my stack of TRS-80 Model 1 floppy drives... I know it doest go to a model 1 but can someone tell me what system I own this thing pairs with? Tandy 2000? Tandy 1000? Coco?

Would appreciate some insight. Thanks.
IMG_20240326_173205.jpgIMG_20240326_173145.jpg

It's for a Tandy 1000.

"Expand your Tandy 1000's storage affordably. Add two to the
Tandy 1000 or one to the Tandy 1000 HD for 40 megabytes of
total system storage (Cable Kit and installation required for
secondary unit). Requires Hard Disk Controller Board.
25-1041 699.00 "

I own a 1000 hx and 1000 ex. Neither has a connection for that unless the cardedge connectors on the back interface to it. Are you use thats all it works with?

Hey Pete does anyone make an aftermarket controller board or are they relatively easy to find for the 25-1041?

Spring Cleaning. This was at the bottom of my stack of TRS-80 Model 1 floppy drives... I know it doest go to a model 1 but can someone tell me what system I own this thing pairs with? Tandy 2000? Tandy 1000? Coco?

Would appreciate some insight. Thanks.
View attachment 1276516View attachment 1276517
This was sold for model 3/4 at end of model 4 life. I sold 25 of these thru misosys quarterly....so somewhere someone has them

There is a controller that looks just like that sat on top and cables ran between.

Shipped with standard TRSDOS driver.

And used with other tandy computers.

Oh that controller was just a standard controller used on trs80. I dont remember its model (wd1010? Or something).

Ah memories

Good luck

This was sold for model 3/4 at end of model 4 life. I sold 25 of these thru misosys quarterly....so somewhere someone has them

There is a controller that looks just like that sat on top and cables ran between.

Shipped with standard TRSDOS driver.

And used with other tandy computers.

Oh that controller was just a standard controller used on trs80. I dont remember its model (wd1010? Or something).

Ah memories

Good luck
Just to clarify the model you stated you sold was the one pictures in this thread here, not this one?:https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/trs-80-15-meg-26-4156-repair.1245415/

Because I was told that was for the Model III/4 specifically (although they are the same capacity), this one however is much much smaller in size.

Just to clarify the model you stated you sold was the one pictures in this thread here, not this one?:https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/trs-80-15-meg-26-4156-repair.1245415/

Because I was told that was for the Model III/4 specifically (although they are the same capacity), this one however is much much smaller in size.
the link you posted is for a 15 meg
pic in this thread is 20 meg.

both use exact same controller (or let say CAN use same controller).

some will say no that 15 meg has a controller 3 times the size. Yes 1st controller was much larger PCB that came with original 5/15 meg. But in time they updated this controller and some of the last 15megs used this updated controller from factory.

We were told in repair that they were using up all the in stock hardware at factory and things would start coming in odd configurations. Once 15 megs were used up this left TRS-80 w/o a HD for TRS-80/TRSDOS.

Solution was came up with was to pair a new controller box with existing 20 meg drives used on other Tandy computers. This change also made controller and drive two seperate boxes (up until then had always been one box).

I had about 25 new drives and 25 new controllers I sold using Misosys quarterly. One man bought like 15 of them...maybe one day I will run across that sales record. I probably sold them all about 1987/88 (just a guess it was long ago).

I was a bit incorrect. The 26-1138 is just the WD controller for the Model 4 that allowed it to use the 25-1041 as its primary drive. I should have remembered as I have one somewhere. The 25-1041 could be used by any MFM controller including the 26-1138 or the Tandy 1000 controllers.

Well I guess I need to try out this drive with a mfm controller in one of my machines. Problem is I might have to make some idc ribbon cables as the mfm ones I have are cardedge on one side.

Back