• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Caste Wolfenstain - runs too fast even on IBM 5150/5155.

Sandisk78

Experienced Member
Good times to everyone ! Long ago heard about that game, wanted to try it. When I start in on IBM 5150 or 5155 with 4.77 8088 I see starting screen then it seems like it runs too fast and it gives almost instantly message "you are killed, game over". what wrong is with it ? Tried to download it from few sites, both local (old-games.ru) and western - it happens all the time...

IIRC, this requires a 286 with VGA and even then it runs like crap. So I don't think it's running too fast but rather it's not actually running.

Huh? Are we discussing Castle Wolfenstein, or Wolfenstein 3D?

I haven't played Castle Wolfenstein on a PC, but on Commodore and Apple machines, it's reasonably difficult. I can see where it might seem too fast. But then "too fast" is very hard to define.

If you're talking about the 1984 MUSE game, I just gave it a spin on my XT. It's not exactly as you describe, but when I start a new game, it draws the starting room (slowly enough), immediately goes "You're caught !" and that's it. Then it gets itself into a loop ("Loading demo", "You're caught !", "Loading demo", "You're caught !", rinse and repeat) and needs a Vulcan nerve-pinch to snap out of it.

So it's not that it runs too fast - it doesn't get a chance to run much at all before it craps the bed. My copy isn't original either, so this could be one of those poor deprotection attempts that were only tested on emulators or >386 systems.

EDIT: a little bird tells me "this game requires DOS 2.1 or earlier". I don't really feel like writing more boot floppies at the moment, but that's one thing to try, I guess.

Last edited:
Wasn't Castle Wolfenstein originally an Apple II game? Also, it saw many ports to the likes of Amiga, DOS, and Commodore? If one doesn't have an original disk, copy, or the proper one for your system, that may be where the problem lies. Just a thought.

Back