• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cbm 8032 capacitor

Let's wait until you get the spare 6502 CPU then and continue our adventures.

You are aware of the pin numbering of the 6502 CPU and the orientation it must go into the PET logic board?

Dave
If we do like i have a new processor and still nothing what other things can stop the cbm to at least do the startup chime
And does the processor needs to be on the motherboard for the startup chime to work

Yes, the processor needs to be on the motherboard (if the memory card is not used)! The chime is produced by the firmware (Kernal and EDIT ROMs) and the PIA/VIA.

Dave

Yes, the processor needs to be on the motherboard (if the memory card is not used)! The chime is produced by the firmware (Kernal and EDIT ROMs) and the PIA/VIA.

Dave
And while waiti g for the parts i got with it those strange cartridges are they saved softwares ?

These little things are software protection devices. They fit on (what looks like) the PET's serial port. They need to be fitted for the associated disk software to operate.

For example, the Word Craft device needs to be fitted in order to run Word Craft. Do you have any disk or tapes with the machine or not?

Are there any observable markings on the white and brown units?

Dave

These little things are software protection devices. They fit on (what looks like) the PET's serial port. They need to be fitted for the associated disk software to operate.

For example, the Word Craft device needs to be fitted in order to run Word Craft. Do you have any disk or tapes with the machine or not?

Are there any observable markings on the white and brown units?

Dave
I did not got any tapes or disk the 2 others have no markings only what seems the brand " M A " in the plastic mold

Last edited:
WordCraft is a Word Processor (see https://www.commodore-info.com/diskette/item/wordcraft/en/desktop).

The disks are available here http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/pet/ALLFILES.html (Search for WordCraft)...

I am sure you will be able to find the User Manual with a bit of searching.

EDIT: I just found (one of) the original author(s) of WordCraft - he lives in Derby in the UK...

Dave
Can i replace the processor with a rockwell
R6502AP are they the same processor ?

Yes.

Just the manufacturer is different. The processor itself is the same.

Dave
And by the way do you know well the compaq portable iii because after i finish repairing my cbm i will need someone to help me with this one

I had one of those at work many years ago!

We'll give it a go. I currently work with 80286 machines - we are just about to refit a load at work!

Dave

I had one of those at work many years ago!

We'll give it a go. I currently work with 80286 machines - we are just about to refit a load at work!

Dave
I got the processor but what is the orientation off the processor did the label have to do something ?

Ignore the label!

Can you post a photograph of the top your part please. There are a number of ways that manufacturers indicate pin 1. I need to know what form your part takes.

Do you see a semicircle 'eaten' out of one of the short edges of the plastic packaging of the IC?

Dave

Ignore the label!

Can you post a photograph of the top your part please. There are a number of ways that manufacturers indicate pin 1. I need to know what form your part takes.

Do you see a semicircle 'eaten' out of one of the short edges of the plastic packaging of the IC?

Dave
Here is the picture

Attachments

• IMG_20220831_174136.jpg
    IMG_20220831_174136.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 6
You have a notch in the IC package on the left-hand side of your photograph.

On the assumption that this is the assembly drawing for your PET, you should be able to match the notch up with that on UB14 in the image below.

Is this clear to you?

If this is a brand new IC you may need to align the pins of the IC at 90 degrees to the body to make it easy to insert the part into the IC socket.

Also, you need to make sure that you ground yourself to earth before handling the IC. You can destroy these devices by touching them...

Dave

1661960921083.png

You have a notch in the IC package on the left-hand side of your photograph.

On the assumption that this is the assembly drawing for your PET, you should be able to match the notch up with that on UB14 in the image below.

Is this clear to you?

If this is a brand new IC you may need to align the pins of the IC at 90 degrees to the body to make it easy to insert the part into the IC socket.

Also, you need to make sure that you ground yourself to earth before handling the IC. You can destroy these devices by touching them...

Dave

View attachment 1245527
And i saw some videos where they uses oscillioscope to find the problem and i jave one does im going to have to use it or i didn't ground me properly

Let's just take stock of where we are now.

1. You have the correct DC voltages measured on the PET main logic board.
2. You have the replacement CPU installed correctly in IC socket UB14.

Are there any IC sockets without any devices fitted into them. This doesn't denote a problem - but it will be useful to know.

If I understand your last post correctly - you do have an oscilloscope? If this is correct, do you know how to use it? There are some relatively simple checks we can do with the oscilloscope to see if the CPU is actually running...

If you didn't ground yourself properly - there is nothing you can do about it now I am afraid...

Dave

Back