• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cheapo IDE interface for Model 4 running LS-DOS

Okay, slight update that CP/M wasn't working properly, it just seemed like it was. Everything I read said to use the C8-CFh jumper setting, but reading through other threads said that CP/M uses the 40-47h setting. That's working now. In any case, I have zero plans to use CP/M on this so would be nice to have an LS-DOS HD Boot Disk instead (and hopefully figure out how to make the rom to eventually boot to that).

Updating this thread. Was able to get this working in DOS using this thread:

https://sites.google.com/site/maboytim/home/trshard

Attaching working bootable LDOS 5.3.1 (Model 3) LS-DOS 6.3.1 (Model 4) DSK files with the appropriate drivers. The site link above has the drivers if you want to build your own, as well as for Model 1 (don't have one so didn't bother making disk). The instructions there are very clear on how to configure the drives so I won't bother repeating here.

This is a DSK/DMK file that can be converted to IMD with the 'DMK2IMD LD631HD.DSK /L /UD' (or LD531HD.DSK) parameters, for those that use that. (I did convert them so i know they convert and image properly, but didn't attach as that would kinda be redundant)

Attachments

• DOSHD.zip
    213.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
This is a DSK/DMK file that can be converted to IMD with the 'DMK2IMD LD631HD.DSK /L /UD' (or LD531HD.DSK) parameters, for those that use that. )

Pardon me for asking: DMK2IMD is an application that runs on what OS? And is available where? New to this TRS-STUFF.

-CH-

Pardon me for asking: DMK2IMD is an application that runs on what OS? And is available where? New to this TRS-STUFF.

-CH-

ImageDisk runs on a PC. You can find it here: http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

A video on making and using disks on a TRS-80 can be found below. The caveat is that his video is for a Model 1, but it's basically the same. I think the main differences pertaining to this thread (and the model 3/4) is that you don't need the -S parameter because these aren't single density disks. As well, you don't need to do all the emulator stuff because i've already done that piece, so these are good to be converted and imaged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM_eW7h07ew

ImageDisk runs on a PC. You can find it here: http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

A video on making and using disks on a TRS-80 can be found below. The caveat is that his video is for a Model 1, but it's basically the same. I think the main differences pertaining to this thread (and the model 3/4) is that you don't need the -S parameter because these aren't single density disks. As well, you don't need to do all the emulator stuff because i've already done that piece, so these are good to be converted and imaged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM_eW7h07ew

I'm familiar with ImageDisk; I didn't realize it had this capability as I never use emulators. Well, DOSBox, maybe. Anyway, thanks for the info. I have some files to convert.

-CH-

I'm familiar with ImageDisk; I didn't realize it had this capability as I never use emulators. Well, DOSBox, maybe. Anyway, thanks for the info. I have some files to convert.

-CH-

No problem. Though, where have you been getting disks for your TRS-80 from if you weren't using DSK/DMK files? Downloading disks and converting/writing them is the only way I know to image real disks, and doesn't involve an emulator at all.

No problem. Though, where have you been getting disks for your TRS-80 from if you weren't using DSK/DMK files? Downloading disks and converting/writing them is the only way I know to image real disks, and doesn't involve an emulator at all.

I bought an assortment of "useful" disks from Ian Mavric and Larry Kraemer was kind enough to send me a few essentials as well. Ian's were directly bootable and Larry's were already in IMD format, which I am familiar with already. I have a '386 running MS-DOS 6.22 in which a 1.4 3.5 and a 360 5.25 are installed and I used it to write Larry's disks to SSDD floppies. My investigations with a newly-acquired Model 4 are documented under the thread "Where to start?"

I thank you for your information and I have more follow-up questions but I don't want to hijack this thread. Instead I will post my questions on the TRS forum under a new thread.

Thanks again,

-CH-

Is there a way to mount and access the partitions from the disk on a PC, once they are created/formatted on the TRS-80?

I have my interface working fine, but having to use floppies to copy the files to it a disk full at a time is time consuming. There should be a way/tool to mount this on a PC?

Also, how do you install CP/M to a partition and run that? The previous links to the CP/M image with the driver seem to be dead.

Last edited:
Is there a way to mount and access the partitions from the disk on a PC, once they are created/formatted on the TRS-80?

I have my interface working fine, but having to use floppies to copy the files to it a disk full at a time is time consuming. There should be a way/tool to mount this on a PC?

Also, how do you install CP/M to a partition and run that? The previous links to the CP/M image with the driver seem to be dead.

I've not had a reason to try this, but 22DISK I believe will read your disks on a PC. More info here: http://www.trs-80.com/wordpress/cpm/

The CP/M files are here under the drivers section. https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/Lo-tech_TRS-80_IDE_Adapter

Theres disk files and a readme in the archive.

What I meant was, after formatting out a DOM with several partitions in LDOS/LSDOS, can you then take the DOM to the PC and mount it some way and copy files to it?

I see there are some tools to mount/edit virtual hard drives. I think it would be a matter of dumping the specific sectors off of it into a file, and then copy back when done. I have something like this setup for my Multicomp SD card. Unfortunately, I don't have an easy way to mount a DOM on USB. I need an old USB to IDE converter...

I see there are some tools to mount/edit virtual hard drives. I think it would be a matter of dumping the specific sectors off of it into a file, and then copy back when done. I have something like this setup for my Multicomp SD card. Unfortunately, I don't have an easy way to mount a DOM on USB. I need an old USB to IDE converter...

You can get a USB CF reader for under $5 on ebay if you don't already have one somewhere from years ago (they were common on every multi sd card reader device back in the day.. i even have a usb 3.0 hub that has CF reader on it still (along with SD/Micro-SD and 3 USB 3 ports)).

However, what I meant is that the 'disks' that the lo-tech ide writes are not virtual hard drive files like you would get with the FreHD. I just put the CF card from my lo-tech IDE into my windows PC and it basically shows it as an un-allocated card. So, clearly it's doing some kind of sector writing to the card, it's not creating files on it (similar to what the SCSI2SD adapter does). Thus, any of the pc tools out there won't read this in, you'll have to either program your own (somehow) or move the files to a real disk and do it via the method mentioned earlier.

You might just be better off using a FreHD or possibly the TRS-IO (TRSNIC) card, as those both use files for their virtual disks. I don't know for sure, but I -think- theres a way to move files in and out of those but you might want to confirm before going that route.

Back