• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Chip in monitor just exploded: identification please?

AlexC

Experienced Member
9-inch monochrome VGA monitor, the sort that were sometimes used in POS systems. Working fine, no sign of instability, then a loud bang followed by smoke and no picture. I turned it off quickly, left it for a while, then dismantled it. I was looking for a blown capacitor of some kind, so it took me a while to find the actual culprit. See photo.

I've no idea what it is, nor where to find a schematic for this monitor, which has no model sticker on the back. Any clues?

DSCF0082.jpg

DSCF0079.JPG

Well, the model is "KFC MA-0933". Apparently that is from the Taiwanese company "Kuo Feng Corporation".

At a glance, Google returns mostly spam sites as usual.

My guess is it's a power ic, but good luck in finding the right parts to fix this monitor unless you can find a schematic or another monitor of the same make/model.

Also look for any Assy. number on both sides of the PCB or any other chassis code identification that could result in a similar monitor's schematic on the internet. Notice the exploded resistor also, looks like some other components may have failed. If you have really much time, last resort would be drawing the reverse engineered schematic and that would suggest what component that might be, at least its intended function.
HTH
Frank

Also look for any Assy. number on both sides of the PCB or any other chassis code identification that could result in a similar monitor's schematic on the internet. Notice the exploded resistor also, looks like some other components may have failed. If you have really much time, last resort would be drawing the reverse engineered schematic and that would suggest what component that might be, at least its intended function.
HTH
Frank

Agreed Most of these PCB's had an indentifier on them somewhere, as they were intended to be a modular part.

....last resort would be drawing the reverse engineered schematic and that would suggest what component that might be, at least its intended function..
Looking at the surrounding components in the pic can often give an indication of what a component might be and it's function. I'd also check the bridge rectifier and power fet for shorts.

Thanks everyone. This may go in the e-cycling pile as it had also occurred to me that the true fault might lie elsewhere. If this were a spectacular monitor then I might have made the effort to repair it, but given the probable chance of success and the time cost, I don't think I will.

What's the difference between a monochrome VGA jug and a monochrome security monitor tube or a MDA-type CRT? There's no shadow mask; the ratings for the deflection yokes are possibly a bit different, but the glass bottle is the same. Might be handy to keep around for a Kaypro or later Osborne PC with 9" displays.

What's the difference between a monochrome VGA jug and a monochrome security monitor tube or a MDA-type CRT? There's no shadow mask; the ratings for the deflection yokes are possibly a bit different, but the glass bottle is the same. Might be handy to keep around for a Kaypro or later Osborne PC with 9" displays.

I had a kaypro in mind when I added that comment

Oddly, I'm in need of just such a tube, for a VGA monitor. But I can't afford to buy one locally, let alone pay that much for freight.

As I'm partway through a purge of unwanted kit I doubt I'd ever make use of this. It's free to a good home but any buyer would have to pay/arrange shipping. The display was good before the chip went pop, and I couldn't see any burn-in. Und ja, ich bin in Deutschland.

Dont know where you live, but I assume not near Germany.

Nein. But this area could be confused for it. In fact the story is that it was settled by German expatriates because it looks so similar. The biggest difference might be our lack of cigarette machines.

Back