• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Chord Keyboards

inakito

Experienced Member
Did anyone work with one of those so called, 'chord keyboards' ?.
The one I remember was Microwrite made in UK.
Did these keyboards have any success?
Apparently these allowed typing speeds way beyond common keyboards and all with one hand!

I work with one and I built one (see here for design). I found it very difficult to learn typing on it, especially repetitive two-character combinations which went slower than in typical PC keyboard. But for automating e.g. design in KiCAD by launching different xdotool macros it works just perfectly and really saves time.

its been a couple decades since I tried one, it is a entirely new thing to try to type on and I imagine it can be quite fast once learned, but its kind of like texting on a keypad only phone, if it had a couple operator keys added on (if that makes since)

I could see a desktop one working good for macro stuff, but in most cad I have found I waste 10x more time scrolling around a design than hitting a 3 letter menu option (like in altium I wouldnt use it much as most of the commands are at most 3-4 letters deep if you dont want to use the menus ... but I love my jog wheel)

Wouldn't the original chorded keyboard for text be a stenotype machine?

stenotype.jpg

I recall a DIY chord keyboard that was essentially a hemisphere with buttons that matched the finger positions. I couldn't see anyone getting much speed out of such a device. After all, there are only 32 possible combination of finger presses on one hand--and some of them are very awkward, even for a pianist.

Back