• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Climate control

VirtualUK

Hey folks - I wanted to get ideas about climate controled displays. I don't have the luxury of space inside the house and use my (please don't banish me for saying this) uninsulated garage that can get hot I the summer. For my most prized parts of my collection I will bring them inside with aircon as the though of 90F+ heat and old capacitors even when not switched on doesn't do bode well. I would like to have a more permanent solution though. I've insulated the garage walls, but the roof (dark gray shingles outside) is the key problem in the summer and putting in a false ceiling or insulating the roof isn't an option.

I've heard about people using climate controlled displays for parts of their collection, does anyone here have any experience, ideas, thoughts they can share about how you have approached a similar problem?

I have a small 8x8 home office carved out of the garage that I keep climate controlled with a small portable AC unit but my collection of prized pieces is growing beyond the space I have in there without it becoming unruly 😅

Was thinking potentially of routing ducting from the home office and building two shallow enclosed areas on the open collection wall, as there is plenty of capacity on the AC with the office being so small. Feels like sledgehammer to crack a walnut though.

I used to store a lot of my spare equipment in a big cabinet in the garage and it actually stayed relatively cool even in in the triple degree summer months. Not sure what my secret is.

Moderate heat shouldn't be an issue for non-running machines.
Humidity can be an issue - especially situations like a cold night followed by a humid day, which can leave systems wet to the touch.
That's how you get musty / moldy / rusty stuff.

Back