• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Clone Video Cards?

EverStaR

Experienced Member
If they were to clone a video card for 486 era like they have for ISA Sound Car, say ISA, VLB or PCI , which famous video card would you want?

E

I think I would rather have something that didn't exist back then, but is now possible. Like a VGA with super fast SRAM and DVI output. Maybe add features for new development like hardware sprites and tiles.

The ATI Mach 8/32 (8514/Ultra, Graphics Ultra, etc) was the card I always wanted but never got, because I was under the impression that having hardware compatibility with the IBM 8514/A would somehow be useful. (In the sense it would let me pretend my rotgut 486 was more like a "real" PS/2.) If someone made a modern version of it that magically massaged the awful 8514/A's interlaced 1024x768 output into a clean digital output it might be useful today, especially given that many modern LCDs don't support interlaced modes, but... eh. I don't think I'm the target market for this question.

That's a tuff one, maybe the Diamond 64 VLB S3. But to someone's point, there should be some opportunity to add some enhancements... I just think they would need to be targeted to provide actual benefit. Also could likely be made much smaller by emulating a lot of the circuitry in FPGA(s)

Back