• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore 64 Disk Drive

Dixon

Help!
I have a C64 with dataset and diskdrive. Everything was runing fine, I was playing flight simulator using the disk drive. I then used the dataset to run a program and when I went back to the disk drive, the computer will not recognize the disk drive. Can anyone help?
Thanks, Dixon

Hi, Dixon - welcome!

You probably want to move this over to a Commodore area, but in the mean time...

Does the drive spin and turn on the drive light for a brief second when the C64 is turned on? That would show that 1) it's powered on, 2) the cabling is OK, and 3) noticing the fact that the C64 is asking it to reset. The C2N shouldn't have anything to do whatsoever with the disk drive... though you might want to unplug it when testing.

Hello David!
I when through the process and it does all that you said. When I turn on the disk drive, it spins and the green light comes on. Then when I turn on the C64, it spins again and the green light comes on. But when I try to load a disk and hit return I get a "Device Not Present Error" from the computer. Its wierd because before I received a few data set games, I was using the disk drive all the time using the Flight Simulator game. I also unplugged the data set but it didn't help.

It's a long shot, but if you try to address the drive as device 9, 10, or 11 does anything happen? As in LOAD"$",9 (sub in 10 and 11 as well).

It's a long shot, but if you try to address the drive as device 9, 10, or 11 does anything happen? As in LOAD"$",9

Dave,
That's worth a try, but probably he will have to disconnect power, and open the 1541 and check for loose cable connections. Then re-seat the chips in sockets by carefully rocking them down into their sockets and hope it is just a connection issue rather than a dead part.

Dixon, Here is a link to the 1541 service manual:

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/drives/new/1541/service/front_page.html

-Dave

My guess would be the serial cable connecting the drive is bad. I've also had goofy things happen with a cartridge plugged into the back of the machine (ie speed load cartridges)

If you have a 1541-II, it has some dip switches on the back. If they get switched, it changes the address of the drive.

What sort of conflict can there be between datasette and disk drive? AFAIK, Datasette is device 1, where the drives are always 8/9.

I've experienced conflicts with my, otherwise functional, 64 with both the datassette and a 1541 drive connected. I really don't know why it happens but I've read it's a normal occurrence.

More than likely a faulty serial cable. Unplug it from both ends and swap the ends around.

Back