• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore B Series?

I'm wondering now if it is the funk wotsit line filter, I have soldered it back in situ ready for when the correct fuses arrive.
It could be a case of putting in a fast blow(f) instead of a slow blow(t) fuse because I mistaken the t for a 1 as the writing was tiny.
Sign of getting older I'm afraid the old eyes aren't as 20/20 as they used to be! The build up of emf in the transformer could be
surging and blowing the fuse hence the need for a slow blow to cope with the current surge on start up!

Anders I take it I am in the right area using 55808-55836 where the C64 uses 54272-54296.
It's been a very long time since I wrote sound programs on my C64 probably around 28 years ago!
Was there a programers reference guide for the b series?

Oh I forgot to mention I tried the c2n on my b series but it just came up device not present!

Oh one more thing there is a delay of around 3 seconds on start up when it's working is that about right?

Well I tried a fuse and no go! it blew straight away!

I took the funk enstor filter out again and this time replaced it with a donor one from a spare Pet.

Once I replaced it I fired it up and yes it works again so it was definiteley the line filter at fault, I could
not find any shorts on the old line filter though. Do they still make a similar package or are they long gone?

I'm wondering now if it is the funk wotsit line filter, I have soldered it back in situ ready for when the correct fuses arrive.
It could be a case of putting in a fast blow(f) instead of a slow blow(t) fuse because I mistaken the t for a 1 as the writing was tiny.
Sign of getting older I'm afraid the old eyes aren't as 20/20 as they used to be! The build up of emf in the transformer could be
surging and blowing the fuse hence the need for a slow blow to cope with the current surge on start up!

Anders I take it I am in the right area using 55808-55836 where the C64 uses 54272-54296.
It's been a very long time since I wrote sound programs on my C64 probably around 28 years ago!
Was there a programers reference guide for the b series?

Oh I forgot to mention I tried the c2n on my b series but it just came up device not present!

Oh one more thing there is a delay of around 3 seconds on start up when it's working is that about right?

You can find programmers references on my cbm-ii page, some sample sound programs i wrote, and also a replacement kernal that gives you instant bootup. The b does not support cassette operations.

Steve

You can find programmers references on my cbm-ii page, some sample sound programs i wrote, and also a replacement kernal that gives you instant bootup. The b does not support cassette operations.

Steve

Cheers Steve I found the reference guide very useful thanks, I typed in a few of the programs for sound.

What I found strange was that when I put an extra statement in a line in the program to print the data of the note
being played, it printed the numbers on the screen but at the expense of the sound. Why would the note not be played?
The program I typed was out of the reference manual page 40. I just added to the line 70 to read :

70 poke fh,x: poke fl,y: print x,y

Another question is there a machine code monitor like on the pet and if so how do you access it?

I timed the startup delay and it was around 8 seconds and not the 3 seconds I first guessed. Thanks for the info on the kernal! ( still quicker than windows though!)

Last edited:
Cheers Steve I found the reference guide very useful thanks, I typed in a few of the programs for sound.

What I found strange was that when I put an extra statement in a line in the program to print the data of the note
being played, it printed the numbers on the screen but at the expense of the sound. Why would the note not be played?
The program I typed was out of the reference manual page 40. I just added to the line 70 to read :

70 poke fh,x: poke fl,y: print x,y

Another question is there a machine code monitor like on the pet and if so how do you access it?

I timed the startup delay and it was around 8 seconds and not the 3 seconds I first guessed. Thanks for the info on the kernal! ( still quicker than windows though!)

Im not sure about the sound. In the music zip file you can find several basic programs converted from c64 to generate music and some also print lyrics. Take a look at them.

Yes, type: sys 6
To enter the monitor. The b-series users guide has complete monitor docs.

Steve

I have one B Series Programmer's Reference book by Protecto left:

http://vintagecomputer.net/purchase_item.cfm?item_id=0009

Thanks for the offer billdeg I'll stick with the user guide for now as I don't want to get ahead of myself!
I've bought a few books in ther past but never got round to really using them with having so many
commodore platforms to get to grips with.

sjgray said:
Im not sure about the sound. In the music zip file you can find several basic programs converted from c64 to generate music and some also print lyrics. Take a look at them.

Yes, type: sys 6
To enter the monitor. The b-series users guide has complete monitor docs.

Steve

Thanks again for the info Steve I'll have a look at those files and try a few converted from the C64.

Only the revision -01 of the kernal include tape support. In all newer revisions the tape support is removed!

Martin

I'm pretty sure production machines shipped with -02 roms or later... At least thats the case with the 4 or 5 b machines I own, including my b500's. Has anyone seen -01 roms?

Steve

Try this one! It must be a kernal for the B series! But i don't have test it on a real CBM B.

Yes, sure I know binaries exist, but I've never seen a machine with "real" -01 masked ROMS. Many early B machines had EPROMS on an adapter board. I don't think any machines were released to the "public" with cassette support.

Steve

Back