• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

comp.lang.forth - banned from google groups?

dfnr2

Experienced Member
I was looking for an old post on comp.lang.forth, and was surprised to discover that the group doesn't appear to be hosted on google groups any more. Searching the group pulls up a "banned group" message, and selecting the "continue to the group" button shows 0 messages in the group. This appears to be due to spam showing up in the unmoderated group.

Google bought Dejanews years ago, and, as I understand, was the defacto main usenet repository. Is is all really gone, or just temporarily hidden? How long ago did this happen? Is the full comp.lang.forth archive available anywhere?

I wonder if it's time to set up some NNTP mirrors and gather as much historical usenet content as possible. Much of the overall content is garbage, but there's some priceless stuff in there, and even more that will become interesting in light of future developments.

Dave

An archive is available at https://archive.org/details/usenet-comp look down the list of zip files and see an 85 MB collection. Is it complete? Probably not but that still should cover a lot of messages.

Many newsgroups are being gotten rid of as the amount of spam overwhelms Google's patience. No newsgroup owner means no way to appeal and the idea of having historical archives that stop a couple years ago is not something Google wishes to do.

They cratered comp.lang.lisp and comp.lang.python as well.

The whole thing is pretty outrageous, honestly. There are denizens on those groups that were Google interested in finding an "official" moderator, I'm sure someone would have stepped up.

c.l.f wasn't that spammy, I was posting there just a few weeks ago, and got some nice replies before the thread derailed (there are some...um...personalities on that group).

I frequented c.l.l 20 years ago, I even have Internet Infamy (in VERY small circles...) from posts there.

The history in these groups is legion and irreplaceable.

I still use Forth for all of my hobby project. When I program, I make lots of mistakes. I've never found a language that I can produce working, debugged, code in such a short amount of time ( my time ).
I stopped looking at the comp.lang.forth some times back. I use many versions of Forth. I don't really even care which NOT it uses. It only takes a few seconds to figure it out. There are groups that I have tried to view lately that look to be locked up. They are ones that have really low usage.
Let me see:
FIG Forth ( my first exposure to Forth from the Computer Fare in San Francisco )
Forth79
Forth83
CMForth
Eforth
TForth ( on Canon Cat )
PC Forth
Win32Forth
a version of Forth that originally ran on a Apple that I helped get running on a PET with 16K ( forget the name )
A few others that I likely forgot.
They all work the same way, although, implemented quite differently.
Dwight

Back