• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Compaq Deskpro 386, first model

SGTSQUID

Experienced Member
A secure undisclosed location in the Mojave Desert
I have a Compaq Deskpro 386 that I need to sell. This is the first model, running at 16 MHz with a 287 (yes, that is 80287) coprocessor socket since the 387 was not out yet. It was the victim of a battery explosion while in storage and has been restored to full working condition. It has 1.2M and 360K floppy drives and 121 MB Conner hard drive set up with Ontrack 5.22 since it is not supported by the BIOS, with DOS 3.31 installed. It has 2 MB of RAM on the expansion board and original Compaq VGA and drive controller cards. The paint on the case has some scuffs and chips on the edges, but it is clean on the inside and out. This is just the main system unit, no keyboard or display. I will include copies of the DOS 3.31, Compaq Diagnostics adn Ontrack disks that I used to get it working. I will also include the November 1986 issue of Personal Computing magazine with a cover article featuring the Deskpro 386.

I haven't seen these sell on ebay for a long time, and the only Deskpro 386 is a later model that someone is trying to sell for $2000 (HAHA!). I'm thinking $250 plus shipping, since it is just the system unit. If you are interested and want to make an offer I will consider it. The package will be 24" x 20" x 12" and 40 lbs. This thing is heavy. PM me if you are interested.
IMG_7835.jpgIMG_7836.jpgIMG_7837.jpgIMG_7838.jpgIMG_7839.jpgIMG_7840.jpgIMG_7841.jpgIMG_7843.jpgIMG_7844.jpgIMG_7845.jpgIMG_7846.jpg

Last edited:
Nice machine. We used to have one of these in a computer lab I ran in high school. I used it as a server, but for some reason, never really liked it much (mostly thanks to the crappy WD VGA controller). Hope it gets a good home, as these are pretty rare now.

I could really use the power supply if you would ever get to the point of parting it out. Sadly can't manage the whole thing...

That is a very nice machine, too bad I can't afford squat right now. This was supposedly the very first 386 based IBM PC compatible, beating IBM itself to the market. It would be interesting to kick around and see how much 386 software really ran on it. A lot of software was design with the Compaq 386 in mind.

That is a very nice machine, too bad I can't afford squat right now. This was supposedly the very first 386 based IBM PC compatible, beating IBM itself to the market. It would be interesting to kick around and see how much 386 software really ran on it. A lot of software was design with the Compaq 386 in mind.

That's not a bad idea. Got any suggestions? Most of that stuff is abandonware and available for free download.

Here is one from PC Mag dated Nov 25.

https://books.google.com/books?id=U...l=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=ALR&f=false

P144: ALR Access 386
P134: Compaq Deskpro 386

Technically speaking, You could build a 386 PC using the Intel 386/AT motherboard before the Compaq was released, but it was only available to OEMs, and you would have to buy ~50!

I would love to buy this system, but $250 + shipping to the UK is too much for me. Seems like a fair price. I really want to document this thing well, along with the ALR system. Has anyone seen the ALR?

Ok so you specifics of when ALR released it's machines (don't rule out the Powerflex either)? Or when Compaqs were available? Don't rely on wikipedia, some of us were around while all this was happening.

Note: apologies to anyone who happened to read the previous unedited version of this post. That was a genuine typo. Don't ask LOL

Last edited:
I've done a bit more digging, and as far as I can tell the ALR Access 386 is based on the intel iSBC 386AT motherboard. I can't confirm 100% but the description of the system in InfoWorld Dec 22, 1986 p49, describes the intel motherboard very well.

I cant find a source, but I think I read somewhere they were released on the same day.

Back