• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Portable 286!

compaqportableplus

Veteran Member
It took many years, but damnit, I finally have one now!

IMG_E7796.JPGIMG_E7797.JPG

Most people don't seem to be aware of this machine's existence, and think they went from the Portable, Plus then straight to the Portable II, but this machine came out in 1985 after the Plus and before the Portable II!

This is a fully AT compatible 8MHz 286 system housed in the original full-sized chassis of the Portable and Plus. You can see it also uses the AT keyboard layout instead of the original PC/XT layout the Portable and Plus used.

My particular one is in very nice cosmetic condition. It came with the original case as well (it's the same brown nylon case that the previous two models used).

I bought this one untested and getting it running was an adventure for sure! Several tantalum caps shorted and a few exploded! Once that was all corrected the machine worked for a while and then went brain dead. It froze at the DOS prompt and when I switched it off and back on, the power supply ran, but it was lifeless otherwise. No video output or beeps. So, pushed around on the socketed chips on the motherboard and it came back to life afterwards! I was deeply concerned that something on the motherboard had failed but was relieved that it was just a bad connection.

However, even after reseating all socketed chips (except the CPU) it was still freezing and then failing to reboot. Pushing around on the motherboard would restore functionality every time and I eventually determined that the fault was close to the CPU, so I pulled the CPU, cleaned the contacts on both the socket and the CPU itself, and also resoldered every pin on the CPU socket, which seems to have fixed the issue.

The machine has been stable ever since, so I think it's all good now!

The original 20MB Miniscribe hard drive works great and sounds incredible. Still has Compaq MS-DOS 3.10 on it! I will probably still give it a low-level format eventually just to keep it working reliably.

It also still has the factory 1.2MB floppy drive and tape drive.

Oh, and when I first got this thing working, I thought the foam pads in the keyboard were going to need replacing, as the keyboard didn't work at all, but it turns out the pads were fine, and the contacts were just dirty. Once I cleaned the contacts every key worked fine.

Here's a pic of the motherboard from this machine. Most people probably haven't seen one of these.IMG_E7791.JPG

Beautiful board!

That's all for now. I can't believe I finally have one of these things!

Didn't realize the drives were mounted "vertically" on a 286 Portable. My Portable II (Lantastic) had them mounted "horizontally" and made it relatively easy to swap out for a 3 1/2" 1.44MB drive and a 40MB WD IDE drive. It died long ago with a likely capacitor short...sadly don't have time to fool with it.

Looks amazing! Great find!
Thank you!

Didn't realize the drives were mounted "vertically" on a 286 Portable. My Portable II (Lantastic) had them mounted "horizontally" and made it relatively easy to swap out for a 3 1/2" 1.44MB drive and a 40MB WD IDE drive. It died long ago with a likely capacitor short...sadly don't have time to fool with it.
Yep, this is the same chassis the previous two models (Portable and Plus) used, so everything mounts the same. Yeah, the Portable II probably just has a shorted cap somewhere. My II had one shorted cap in the PSU and after replacing that it worked perfectly.

Speaking of that, I have actually been considering putting a 1.44Mb 3.5” drive in my Portable II, as one of its two 5.25” drives doesn’t work.

I have one and can't figure out how to remove the bottom cover. The top was easy. The bottom will not pull away from the chassis. Appears screwed in or something but the motherboard blocks that area so I don't know what's going on.

I have one and can't figure out how to remove the bottom cover. The top was easy. The bottom will not pull away from the chassis. Appears screwed in or something but the motherboard blocks that area so I don't know what's going on.
I had that issue with a Compaq Plus I got recently and was quite perplexed. Turns out there is a little post in the middle of the cover that gets caught in one of the holes in the chassis, making it get stuck when attempt to remove it.

Trying pulling up or pushing down on it in addition to pulling it away from the machIne. One of those worked for me, don’t remember which. Take your time and you’ll get it eventually. Just don’t force anything!

I will look in the manual again. But it appears there were multiple version of the motherboard that went in needs units. They're all quite different. I know that compaqportablesplus 's motherboard looks like mine.

Thanks. I may try and remove that bottom cover again as I was not successful last night.
It looks like, once I do then I will see the battery or at least the connection.
Do you know what the voltage is?
I'm guessing 5v?

Thanks for the tip. Also, my mother board looks the same as yours:
1. where is the CMOS battery?
On mine it was behind the “system board connector access plate.” It was quite difficult to get out, but I eventually got it. Probably one of these connectors near the circled RTC chYep, that smaller white one is battery connector.

Probably one of these connectors near the circled RTC chip:

View attachment 1246205
The white one (J110) is the battery connector.

Thanks. I may try and remove that bottom cover again as I was not successful last night.
It looks like, once I do then I will see the battery or at least the connection.
Do you know what the voltage is?
I'm guessing 5v?
The battery in mine was 7.2 volts.

I was successful in getting the bottom panel off. I did then see the CMOS battery which I bought a replacement. The one I pulled was 6V. The one I bought was 3.6. I put it in for now to test that it would work and keep the settings. It did appear to work and then later today I ordered a 6V one.
VERAULT / Mic sent me some set up disks that arrived today too so I have those to play with too. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow.
I put in a D80287-8 CDIP-40 80-BIT HMOS* NUMERIC PROCESSOR but the system doesn't recognize it. Not sure why. It sounds like the Portable 286 should have recognized it at boot without changing any jumpers.

I was successful in getting the bottom panel off. I did then see the CMOS battery which I bought a replacement. The one I pulled was 6V. The one I bought was 3.6. I put it in for now to test that it would work and keep the settings. It did appear to work and then later today I ordered a 6V one.
VERAULT / Mic sent me some set up disks that arrived today too so I have those to play with too. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow.
I put in a D80287-8 CDIP-40 80-BIT HMOS* NUMERIC PROCESSOR but the system doesn't recognize it. Not sure why. It sounds like the Portable 286 should have recognized it at boot without changing any jumpers.
Excellent! Glad to hear you finally got it.

Interesting that yours is 6v, as mine was a 7.2v, although mine had a 1991 date on it, so it was certainly a replacement. So a 6v or 7.2v is probably fine in these.

Weird that it doesn’t the coprocessor, not sure why that would be.

It took many years, but damnit, I finally have one now!

View attachment 1246021View attachment 1246022

Most people don't seem to be aware of this machine's existence, and think they went from the Portable, Plus then straight to the Portable II, but this machine came out in 1985 after the Plus and before the Portable II!

This is a fully AT compatible 8MHz 286 system housed in the original full-sized chassis of the Portable and Plus. You can see it also uses the AT keyboard layout instead of the original PC/XT layout the Portable and Plus used.

My particular one is in very nice cosmetic condition. It came with the original case as well (it's the same brown nylon case that the previous two models used).

I bought this one untested and getting it running was an adventure for sure! Several tantalum caps shorted and a few exploded! Once that was all corrected the machine worked for a while and then went brain dead. It froze at the DOS prompt and when I switched it off and back on, the power supply ran, but it was lifeless otherwise. No video output or beeps. So, pushed around on the socketed chips on the motherboard and it came back to life afterwards! I was deeply concerned that something on the motherboard had failed but was relieved that it was just a bad connection.

However, even after reseating all socketed chips (except the CPU) it was still freezing and then failing to reboot. Pushing around on the motherboard would restore functionality every time and I eventually determined that the fault was close to the CPU, so I pulled the CPU, cleaned the contacts on both the socket and the CPU itself, and also resoldered every pin on the CPU socket, which seems to have fixed the issue.

The machine has been stable ever since, so I think it's all good now!

The original 20MB Miniscribe hard drive works great and sounds incredible. Still has Compaq MS-DOS 3.10 on it! I will probably still give it a low-level format eventually just to keep it working reliably.

It also still has the factory 1.2MB floppy drive and tape drive.

Oh, and when I first got this thing working, I thought the foam pads in the keyboard were going to need replacing, as the keyboard didn't work at all, but it turns out the pads were fine, and the contacts were just dirty. Once I cleaned the contacts every key worked fine.

Here's a pic of the motherboard from this machine. Most people probably haven't seen one of these.View attachment 1246024

Beautiful board!

That's all for now. I can't believe I finally have one of these things!
that board looks like the spare board I have which I thought was a portable plus... i need to look into it. if its a portable 286 maybe i can swap out the board on one of my portable 1s to make a sleeper 286.

Well this thread got me wondering if I had this board so I had to find it and take a look.IMG_20220919_173244.jpgIMG_20220919_173258.jpgI have had this loose board for years. I always thought it was a portable plus board but i guess I never really bothered to look at it as the 80287 and the 16 bit ISA slots should have been a dead giveaway.. oops. @compaqportableplus thanks for starting the thread and sharing the photos.

Ironically I tried selling this board on Ebay years ago mislabeled as a plus.. Im glad it didnt sell back then.

Back