• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Portable 486c /66 Looking for parts or the whole unit

zanthia

Hi,

Does anyone here can sell a Compaq Portable 486? Or any parts? (PSU, LCD screen...)
I have one but the LCD screen started to die and then yesterday the power suply stopped working altogether (I looked inside it and the caps looked ok!)
It's impossible to repair a 25 year old power supply, right ?
These computers are quite rare to find nowadays so if anyone could help I would appreciate it!

Thank you

(Here's a picture of the PSU if you're curious!)

477747psu.jpg

It is not impossible to repair a power supply for a computer like this. I have actually been able to bring a Zenith Supersport SX back from the dead by replacing the capacitors. That may be your problem. Not only that, but outward obvious failure of capacitors is not always apparent. Sometimes the leakage is on the bottom of the capacitor, where it cannot be seen until it is desoldered, or, in some cases, one can smell the pungent fish-like odor of heated electrolyte in the vicinity of the power supply when the computer is turned on.

I would strongly suggest replacing them.

Hi,

Does anyone here can sell a Compaq Portable 486? Or any parts? (PSU, LCD screen...)
I have one but the LCD screen started to die

Apparently the active matrix screens in them all die. That's why a working one is so rare.

Of the dozen I had, I'm down to two with working color screens.
I scrapped the rest.

Back