• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Portable Serial Number 001229

compaqportableplus

Veteran Member
This is an extremely special Compaq Portable I found on eBay a while back in a hideously dirty state and non-working. I would normally not buy a computer in such bad condition, but when I saw this machine's serial number, I knew it had to be saved. It was serial number 001229, the lowest I have ever seen.

Here are the "after" photos of it after I got it cleaned up (mostly) and working.

IMG_E7456.JPG

IMG_E7451.JPG

IMG_E7454.JPG

IMG_E7455.JPG

Actually looks quite decent now, considering how awful it was when I received it. It even still has the original luggage tag! I did have to replace the leather handle as well, since the original was falling apart.

Oh, and the entire reason it didn't work was ONE shorted capacitor on the motherboard! After replacing that it sprung right to life.

Upon disassembly, I did find that the system board and monitor assembly was replaced at one point, which isn't surprising considering the hard life this machine clearly had.

The original VDU board was still present, which was nice to see. Here's a pic.

IMG_E7447.JPG

All of the dates on this board are late 1982.

The original floppy controller was also missing, and was replaced with a generic card at one point, so I put a spare original Compaq floppy controller I had back in it.

It also had two mismatched floppy drives, the original Magnetic Peripherals drive, and a Tandon drive that was added later. Being an early production unit, it's highly likely that it originally shipped with just one floppy drive and had one added later. Both drives were rusty and nasty, but with a little cleaning and lubrication, I got the original MP drive working again! I then replaced the Tandon drive with another MP drive I had from a broken Compaq Portable, so they both match now.

Another difference I noticed inside of this machine compared to the newer ones, is that instead of the hex/flathead screws you typically see, it uses these tiny Phillips screws.

IMG_7448.JPG

Quite interesting. My guess is they stopped using these because they strip out VERY easily.

As for configuration I'm leaving this thing stock with 256KB of RAM, dual floppies, 8088 CPU and no hard drive. It's a lot of fun to play with this way! I've found that most programs you would realistically run on a dual 360K drive system do fine on 256KB.

It did actually have a Plus Hardcard 20 in it that I was able to repair, but I'll use that in a different machine.

I wish I could find some original Compaq slot covers for the empty, but they are impossible to find these days.

So, there you have it, a very early production Compaq Portable, a true piece of history. This is a very important piece of my Compaq collection now and it is definitely a keeper!

I will dig up the eBay pics and post them later to show just how nasty this thing was before!

I think the earliest known public BIOS is B, and it has been dumped. I’ve got one sitting in a drawer because I upgraded to C to get hard drive support. The last known version for a portable is J. It’s also been dumped.

I understand they produced over 100,000 Compaq Portables and all the labels I've seen online, including mine, show a totally different format for the serial number compared to yours. Typically you see 12 numeric and alpha characters and now that I see yours it makes me wonder when they changed this. Also, for the model, yours shows COMPAQ whereas mine shows 101709. I can't find anything online about their model number usage and it gets even more confusing when you see Portable Plus models showing the same 101709.
No doubt you've acquired and restored a great addition to your collection.

I understand they produced over 100,000 Compaq Portables and all the labels I've seen online, including mine, show a totally different format for the serial number compared to yours. Typically you see 12 numeric and alpha characters and now that I see yours it makes me wonder when they changed this. Also, for the model, yours shows COMPAQ whereas mine shows 101709. I can't find anything online about their model number usage and it gets even more confusing when you see Portable Plus models showing the same 101709.
No doubt you've acquired and restored a great addition to your collection.
They definitely made at least 100,000! The original model was sold from early 1983 into early 1987, so they definitely made a lot.

Sometime in 1984 is when they changed the serial scheme. They went up to the 28000 range or so, then they went to the 12 digit one you describe.

And in 1985 when the Portable 286 came out is when they changed the model from simply being “Compaq” or “Compaq Plus” to “101709” on the Portable and Plus. This differentiated them from the Portable 286, which was model 101710. The Portable and Plus used the same model number because they literally are the same with the exception of the Plus having a hard drive in place of the second floppy.

This is an extremely special Compaq Portable I found on eBay a while back in a hideously dirty state and non-working. I would normally not buy a computer in such bad condition, but when I saw this machine's serial number, I knew it had to be saved. It was serial number 001229, the lowest I have ever seen.

Here are the "after" photos of it after I got it cleaned up (mostly) and working.

View attachment 1246002

View attachment 1246003

View attachment 1246004

View attachment 1246005

Actually looks quite decent now, considering how awful it was when I received it. It even still has the original luggage tag! I did have to replace the leather handle as well, since the original was falling apart.

Oh, and the entire reason it didn't work was ONE shorted capacitor on the motherboard! After replacing that it sprung right to life.

Upon disassembly, I did find that the system board and monitor assembly was replaced at one point, which isn't surprising considering the hard life this machine clearly had.

View attachment 1246006

The original floppy controller was also missing, and was replaced with a generic card at one point, so I put a spare original Compaq floppy controller I had back in it.

It also had two mismatched floppy drives, the original Magnetic Peripherals drive, and a Tandon drive that was added later. Being an early production unit, it's highly likely that it originally shipped with just one floppy drive and had one added later. Both drives were rusty and nasty, but with a little cleaning and lubrication, I got the original MP drive working again! I then replaced the Tandon drive with another MP drive I had from a broken Compaq Portable, so they both match now.

Another difference I noticed inside of this machine compared to the newer ones, is that instead of the hex/flathead screws you typically see, it uses these tiny Phillips screws.

View attachment 1246007

Quite interesting. My guess is they stopped using these because they strip out VERY easily.

As for configuration I'm leaving this thing stock with 256KB of RAM, dual floppies, 8088 CPU and no hard drive. It's a lot of fun to play with this way! I've found that most programs you would realistically run on a dual 360K drive system do fine on 256KB.

It did actually have a Plus Hardcard 20 in it that I was able to repair, but I'll use that in a different machine.

I wish I could find some original Compaq slot covers for the empty, but they are impossible to find these days.

So, there you have it, a very early production Compaq Portable, a true piece of history. This is a very important piece of my Compaq collection now and it is definitely a keeper!

I will dig up the eBay pics and post them later to show just how nasty this thing was before!
Where did you find the date on the motherboard? I have the one that I bought in 1983. Same as yours with the Model: Compaq. Higher S/N however with 10 numbers. I wanted to verify my memory that I bought it in 1983 and not in 1984.

View attachment 1246002

View attachment 1246003

View attachment 1246004

View attachment 1246005

View attachment 1246006

View attachment 1246007

PS...I see the date now that I was able to zoom in on the photo. I'd have to take my computer apart more to get to that.

Confirmed. If you look at the first edition of the Compaq Maintenance and Service Guide, it references Phillips screws for the covers (along with the nuts). Later indeed they moved to Torx 10 screws.
20230712_205854.jpg

Back