• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq prolinea 466 - OS to install

You're right nothing much comes up searching for info on that card. That's not to say other members don't have info stashed away somewhere. Similar layout, but not exactly the same, to some of the NE2000 comp. ISA nics I've got.

It's unlikey the patch cable is at issue but you've tried another known good one to make sure I gather? Without having the card diagnostics/setup software it's a bit of a crap shoot to find out what is wrong with it. Have you tried it in another ISA slot? You mentioned earlier you tried a pci card. Where did you try that, in one of the ISA slots? The specs for the machine make no mention of it having pci slots at all.

Cards of this era could be set up to auto-sence the connection type or be set up as a dedicated RJ45 or BNC connection. This card could very well be set up for BNC usage currently.

If it were me I'd try and get hold of an ISA card that's well documented, has dos packet drivers and setup software readily available.

It's been a while but under device properties Windows should show the nics IRQ and I/O address. Just as an experiment, no dought wasting more time in the process ;), one thing you could try is an older Linux distro, say RH 6.2-7.3 or maybe even DSL, using the info Windows gives you see if the network installation routine can configured correctly and see if networking functions ok. If you try this use the text installer and just do a bare bones text installation-ie no Xwindows, it'll take a while. There are few Linux boot disks with network support for a small selection of nics as well.

Goodness almost forgot the Qnx demo http://toastytech.com/guis/qnxdemo.html
http://qnx.puslapiai.lt/qnxdemo/qnx_demo_disk.htm

Last edited:
well, thanks alot to everyone how replied this post. You all are awesome! I will try my luck with that mTCP suite, but later. I had too much hardcore sex with this machine. Now i will just go play some games on it.

i will be back soon with more noob questions:D

WOW! Thank you, Compgeke!:happy5: Now I have proper drivers! So one more part of the puzzle is solved. Using the packet driver with mTCP suite I was able to connect my ftp server, transfer files an so on. At least I'm sure my network card is working. ALTHOUGH I'm still having troubles with connecting under Windows 95. If I simply try to update the driver the device name changes from "NE2000 compatible card" to "PNPND ethernet adapter". But after reboot it changes back to "NE2000-compatible". If I remove the card from the system and then manually install the driver after reboot I receive an error message saying the card is not working properly. Hmm Where did I go wrong?

desk.jpeg

Last edited:
tried different way. no luck(

It there any way to "channel" packet-driver traffic into internet explorer? Is there any "normal" browser able to use a packet driver? I really hate Arachne. it's overloaded of unnecessary functions, but lacks the essential ones.

Good news for everyone! :happy4:

finally got the internet connection on my Compaq PC. I made the only right decision - to try another ethernet card. This time it's D-link DFE-520TX which luckily has Win 95 support.

Now my next question is how to improve the networking performance? Loading this page took about 5 minutes and it was like the Internet Explorer exclusively took all the processor time. Is there any lightweight browser offering text-mode with support of https, ftp, utf-8 and cp1251?

I think those will go up to at least 32mb of ram, which would help quite a bit. Also defrag and then create a permanent swap file, i would say around 128mb in size. A permanent swap file can noticeably speed things up on low-memory machines like this.

Now my next question is how to improve the networking performance? Loading this page took about 5 minutes and it was like the Internet Explorer exclusively took all the processor time. Is there any lightweight browser offering text-mode with support of https, ftp, utf-8 and cp1251?
Have you looked at Lynx at all? Another you could try out is Dillo.

Last edited:
Back