• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Complaints

deathshadow

Veteran Member
On top of the existing vBullesh** woes of crappy templates with px metric fonts and lack of semantics being a giant middle finger to users, now we have illegible colour contrasts and so knee deep in some sort of rubbish scripttardery that just TRYING to write a post crashes Firefox?

I mean seriously, dark cyan on black? White on Cyan? Does the term "WCAG" ring ANY bells, or has some artsy fartsy type who knows dick-all about accessibility taken over things?

No offense guys, but this "move" is getting more and more dreadful by the moment.

Of course -- again no offense, eh... screw it, offense intended -- looking at the website of this "Vintage computer federation" reeks so badly of developer ignorance and ineptitude in regards to code efficiency or accessibility minimums, it quite clearly screams whoever made that has ZERO business making websites in the first place.

https://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/wcag

Naturally it's turdpress, so a giant middle finger to visitors on the accessibility front and massive code bloat aren't exactly a shocker... in the classic "If you don't know what's wrong with this:"

Code:
<body class="home blog group-blog">
<div id="page" class="hfeed site">
	<a class="skip-link screen-reader-text" href="#content">Skip to content</a>

<header id="masthead" class="site-header" role="banner">
                <div class="main-navigation-wrapper">
                        <nav id="site-navigation" class="main-navigation" role="navigation">
                                <button class="menu-toggle" aria-controls="primary-menu" aria-expanded="false">Menu</button>
                                <div class="menu-vcf-menu-container"><ul id="primary-menu" class="menu"><li id="menu-item-12" class="menu-item menu-item-type-post_type menu-item-object-page menu-item-12">

Kind of way... which if you don't know what's wrong with that, do the world a favor, back the **** away from the keyboard, and STOP making websites. Same goes for that cyan on black which doesn't even meet WCAG 2 AA for large fonts, much less the ridiculous goofy thin-glyph webfont in absurdly undersized pixel metrics.

Let's just say there's a reason I went silent for so long, this iteration of the forums and the pile of trash site it's been moved to is you folks flipping a giant middle-finger to me as a user... hence my response in kind!

Last edited:
I do think the forum should implement a consistent color scheme, and the aqua color should be tweaked to improve readability against the chosen text color. Right now, some parts of the forum use black on aqua while other parts use white on aqua, and neither is really the best for readability.

Or perhaps another color could be chosen to complement the logo's colors while providing better readability, rather than forcing the rest of the forum to adhere to the logo's colors.

I do think the forum should implement a consistent color scheme, and the aqua color should be tweaked to improve readability against the chosen text color. Right now, some parts of the forum use black on aqua while other parts use white on aqua, and neither is really the best for readability.

Or perhaps another color could be chosen to complement the logo's colors while providing better readability, rather than forcing the rest of the forum to adhere to the logo's colors.

Amen to your suggestion. I believe I've made the same suggestion before in another thread here.

At the very least, could we please make the giant aqua (or is it ectoplasm?) bar at the very top of the page be thinner, like half as thick as it is now, so it won't be quite so unpleasant to look at on the black background?

Thanks, in advance, for your consideration.

smp

Look, most HTML today is done with crap tools. I'm just being realistic. Web pages that should take no more than a few K to render now take a couple of MB. It's the way of the future.

And--you're lucky to find two browsers that render a page the same--or, in the case of some stuff that demands IE or Edge, to render them at all.

Last edited:
Well, now that my health is a bit better (been struggling for a while) and since I missed you guys, I took the time to create a user.css override for stylish.

For those of you unfamiliar with user.css, it's a stylesheet you make for your browser to try and override bad choices made on the part of developers, and/or just to customize other people's pages to your own liking.

Stylish is a plugin for FF and Chrome (the latter therein giving us Opera and Vivaldi support) that lets you implement user.css quickly and easily.

So right now for these forums I'm using this to override the site to make it accessible and usable again.

Code:
* { font-size:100% !important; line-height:150% !important; }
body {
	font-size:85% !important;
	max-width:64em;
	margin:0 auto;
	padding-top:1em;
}
html {
	background:#244 !important;
}
.above_body {
	border-radius:1em 1em 0 0;
}
.logo-image img {
	display:none;
}
.logo-image {
	padding:1em 1em 0.5em;
	display:inline-block;
}
.logo-image:after {
	content:"Vintage Computer Forums";
	font:bold 150%/120% arial,helvetica,sans-serif !important;
	color:#FFF;
	text-shadow:0 0 0.2em #000;
}
.toplinks {
	right:0.5em;
	top:1em;
}
.toplinks ul.isuser li a:active,
.toplinks ul.isuser li a:focus,
.toplinks ul.isuser li a:hover,
a.popupctrl:active,
a.popupctrl:focus,
a.popupctrl:hover {
	background:transparent;
	text-shadow:0 0 0.3em #8FF;
}

.body_wrapper {
	padding-bottom:1em;
	border-radius:0 0 1em 1em;
}
.above_body,
.footer,
.blockhead,
.thread_info h4,
.postbit .posthead, .postbitlegacy .posthead, .eventbit .eventhead {
	background: #266;
	border:0;
}
.navbar {
	height:4.5em;
}
.navbar,
#navtabs {
	background:#044;
}
.navtabs {
	float:left;
	height:auto;
	padding-top:0.5em;
}
.navtabs ul {
	top:2.5em;
	padding-top:0.25em;
}
#navtabs > li {
	float:none;
	display:inline;
	margin-right:0.5em;
}
#navtabs > li,
#navtabs > li > a,
#navtabs {
	background:transparent !important;
}

#navtabs li.selected a.navtab {
	color:#8FF;
	text-shadow:0 0 0.3em #000;
}
#navtabs > li > a:active,
#navtabs > li > a:focus,
#navtabs > li > a:hover {
	text-shadow:0 0 0.3em #8FF;
}
#navtabs > li a {
	float:left;
}
#navbar .floatcontainer:after {
	display:none;
}
.globalsearch {
	position:relative;
	top:0;
	right:0;
	float:right;
	width:auto;
	padding:0.5em 1em 0;
	word-wrap:nowrap;
	clear:none;
}
#globalsearch form,
#globalsearch span,
#globalsearch ul,
#globalsearch li {
	display:inline;
	float:none;
}
.navbar_search {
	right:0;
}
.newcontent_textcontrol {
	background:#266;
	box-shadow:
		inset 0 0.5em 0.5em #488,
		inset 0 -0.5em 0.5em #044;
}
.newcontent_textcontrol:active,
.newcontent_textcontrol:focus,
.newcontent_textcontrol:hover {
	background:#688;
}
#pagetitle h1 { padding:0.5em 0; }

.thread_info .blockbody {
	background:#EFF;
	border:solid #8CC;
	border-width:0 1px 1px;
	box-shadow:none;
	border-radius:0 0 0.5em 0.5em;
}

.globalsearch .textboxcontainer span {
	height:auto;
}

.globalsearch input.textbox {
	width:10em;
	margin-top:-1px;
}

.bbcode_container div.bbcode_code,
.bbcode_container pre.bbcode_code {
	font:normal 90%/140% consolas,monospace !important;
}

pre.bbcode_code {
	height:auto !important;
}

Only tested at large fonts/120dpi in Vivaldi for 1920x1080, though it should scale properly to others assuming I did the scaling right... though it's a pain in the arse as so much stuff is absolute positioned that shouldn't be, there's little to no logical use of floats or flow, and the markup is a bloated train wreck of how NOT to code a website. Seriously, whoever thought that nesting lists was BETTER than tables when actually dealing with tabular data needs a good swift kick in the groin!

... but at least I dragged it kicking and screaming into being USABLE for me.

Unified the colour theme a bit too whilst I was in there, though more tweaks really are needed.

Back