• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Config.sys and Autoexec.bat for a 5150

Overkill is in the eye of the beholder

Overkill is in the eye of the beholder

I have some 286's with 20 and 40GB in them, I personally don't see 1GB DOM in a PC/XT as overkill ;-) Other than some tips that have already been posted here about freeing up a little bit here and there, I would not really worry much about it, sounds like you have plenty of free RAM to run nearly anything a PC/XT class machine can run.

I run DOS 3.3 on my Compaq Portable (640k/4.7Mhz 8088/270MB HD), but I run DOS 6.22 (and Windows 3.0) on my IBM PS/2 Model 25 (640k/8mhz V30/400MB HD), so I say run whatever you want to that meets your needs ;-)

I have some 286's with 20 and 40GB in them, I personally don't see 1GB DOM in a PC/XT as overkill ;-) Other than some tips that have already been posted here about freeing up a little bit here and there, I would not really worry much about it, sounds like you have plenty of free RAM to run nearly anything a PC/XT class machine can run.

I run DOS 3.3 on my Compaq Portable (640k/4.7Mhz 8088/270MB HD), but I run DOS 6.22 (and Windows 3.0) on my IBM PS/2 Model 25 (640k/8mhz V30/400MB HD), so I say run whatever you want to that meets your needs ;-)

How the heck does one get a 40GB drive to work in a 286?! I have a Pentium 133 socket 7 system, that I'm using an 80GB drive in, but it only recognizes 8GB of that. Do you use a special controller or software or both?

How the heck does one get a 40GB drive to work in a 286?! I have a Pentium 133 socket 7 system, that I'm using an 80GB drive in, but it only recognizes 8GB of that. Do you use a special controller or software or both?
I'm using Ontrack Disk Manager. It overcomes most BIOS limitations on hard drives.
Wow, 80GB on a 286 means, what, 40 partitions of 2GB under DOS? Shades of Corvus and Apple II!
Or are you using a (non-MS) FAT32 file system?
Yea multiple 2GB partitions, gets a bit unwieldy, really don't use that much space anyways, I think I have maybe 3 or 4GB in use. I've thought about trying some other file systems, just haven't got around to it yet.

Back