• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Confusion over tape drives and their controlles

It should be pretty simple to set up a FTDI Vinculum module and some RS232C level-shifter if you want an integrated solution using USB flash drive without a lot of MCU programming. The Vinculum takes its filesystem commands in plain ASCII.

And, of course, you have to remember that a 120MB tape usually only holds 60MB. The capacity was for compressed files, but nothing I ever wanted to archive (jpg, zip) would compress. Quite irritating, back in the day. :)

And, of course, you have to remember that a 120MB tape usually only holds 60MB. The capacity was for compressed files, but nothing I ever wanted to archive (jpg, zip) would compress. Quite irritating, back in the day. :)

Aw, it's the same situation as nameplate horsepower ratings on household appliances. I have a Shop Vac that proudly proclaims that it has a 3 hp motor--and can be powered from a standard 15 amp outlet.

Right. Just like the "4000 watt" audio amplifier that runs from the same 15A outlet.

Asterisks and fine print. Get used to it. Sort of like rating the top speed of your car at 350 mph*

-------------------
*when dropped from a plane at an altitude of 15,000 feet.

Back