• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Connecting a JVC 40MB HDD with 44 pin connector from old Toshiba Laptop

davejo

I have a 40MB JVC HDD (Model: JDE3848V10-1) with a 44 pin male connector from old Toshiba Laptop that I used 30+ years ago.
I'd like to connect the HDD to my current PC to see if there is anything interesting on the drive. (I realize it might be dead, but it was working when I removed it years ago.)
When I look it up online, I can find references to it being an IDE interface, but the connector is longer (it's ~2.5") and the pins are spaced further apart than on the IDE connectors used today.
In the photo below, you can see the 44 pin male connector on the HDD, and a current 44 pin IDE female connector (from a Sabrent IDE/SATA to USB converter) above it.
Any idea what kind of cable/converter I need to use to connect it to a current PC?
Thanks!

HDD.jpg

Last edited:
Alex, maybe I'm wrong but does the JVC not have a proprietary 44 pin connection (if you look at Dave's one it has 44 pins, not 40)?

Thanks Alex, but the 44 pin connector on my HDD does not match the ones you linked to above. I actually have the Sabrent adapter/converter - its 44 pin IDE connector is shown in the photo above, and it's shorter than the 44 pin connector on my HDD.

I wonder if that's a 44pin 2.5" ide interface, but with the spacing of a 40pin 3.5" connector. I don't see a separate power connector.

It's 2-5/8" long ... 5/8" longer than a 40 pin IDE connector. And correct, there is no separate power connector.
I suspect Brian is correct in that it may be proprietary. I have not been able to find a cable/adapter with the same dimensions/configuration.

Looking closer at the pic, that's a _weird_ pin spacing. Closer vertically than horizontally? 3.5" drives used 2.54mm spacing, 2.5" drives used 2mm spacing. I've never seen an IDC connector with mixed pitch.

If that’s IDE, I’d put money on it not working with a USB adapter. I’ve never seen a 40MB IDE drive that supports LBA required for a USB adapter.

There are passive adapters that will convert laptop ide to normal ide, if that’s what this drive needs.

This has been very helpful - thank you. I'll assume it's a standard IDE pinout with a proprietary connector, and will try wiring it into a standard IDE cable with jumper wires (or worst case, I'll wire wrap the pins.)

jafir: I didn't realize that USB compatibility might be an issue. I was hoping to be able to wire it into the Sabrent adapter/converter I have, which then plugs into a USB port. I could potentially connect it directly to the motherboard on my PC instead, but will have to check whether it has an IDE connector. I know it has SATA connectors ... would you expect a passive IDE to SATA connecter (link below) to work? (I don't understand the LBA issue, which is why I'm asking.) Thx.

I did some reading on LBA and now understand that I need a BIOS that supports drives with CHS addressing. USB only supports LBA. I do have some older PCs lying around ... my next task is clear. Thanks!

Back