• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Controller Longshine and Western Digital

aesis

Experienced Member
Hi guys,sorry for this new thread.

I wanted to know about my two 8-bit controller cards

LONGSHINE LCS-6210D REV.A1
WESTERN DIGITAL WD1002A-WX1

I can read all 20MB hard disk MFM or only some?

I have a friend of mine in the area that has for sale this Hard Disk:

KALOK OCTAGON KL320
FUJITSU M2227D2
LEXIKON HD352

Can I use one of these cards on these Hard Disk?
Thanks for any answers.

Can I use one of these cards on these Hard Disk?
I know that you would like a short "yes" or "no" type answer, but things are not that simple.

----------------------------------------------------

KALOK OCTAGON KL320 = 'MFM' drive of 615 cyls ; 4 heads
FUJITSU M2227D2 = 'MFM' drive of 615 cyls ; 8 heads
LEXIKON HD352 = 'MFM' drive of 612 cyls ; 4 heads

LCS-6210D REV.A1

This is an 'MFM' controller intended for XT class computers. I used to have one of these. Mine is pictured at [here]. If your LCS-6210D REV.A1 has the same revision of BIOS as mine did (the "I2" on the ROM sticker), then it is in the 'Dynamic Controller' category described at [here].

If your LCS-6210D REV.A1 has a different BIOS revision, then the supported drives will depend on which BIOS ROM is fitted.

WD1002A-WX1

This is an 'MFM' controller intended for either XT or AT class computers (selected by jumper).
If yours has the F300 feature BIOS ROM (also known as the 'Super BIOS'), then it is in the 'Dynamic Controller' category described at [here].
If yours does not have the F300 feature BIOS ROM, then the supported drives will depend on which BIOS ROM is fitted.

The BIOS ROM (chip U12) on my WD1002A-WX1 has "62-000094-002" printed on it, and contains the F300 feature.

I have a friend of mine in the area that has for sale this Hard Disk:

In the area, so you should be able to 'try before you buy'.

Thanks so much Modem7 your explanation is very precise and detailed ..
I'll let you know how it goes at the end of the test!
Thanks again.

My first HDD was Kalok Octagon paired with WD1002A-WX1 with Super BIOS. It was the nicest "sounding" HDD ever for me. I wish for you that it works:)

I have the Fujitsu M2227D2 and I did the test on WD1002A-WX1 not F300 but E017, I started SSTOR and tells me that the bios is locked.
I tried to debug G = C800: 5 and locks the PC.
You can not use this combination?

I tried always M2227D2 and I did the test on LCS-6210D REV: A1 (I2), I started SSTOR but recognizes it as cyls 612 instead of 615 ..
I tried to debug G = C800: 5 and ask me to format it for the whole, and I say yes, then asks me which drive format 0 or 1? and not knowing what to choose I stopped them.
Why I ask me what drive format if I only have a hard drive?

Thanks for any response.Thanks for any response.

I know that you would like a short "yes" or "no" type answer, but things are not that simple.

KALOK OCTAGON KL320 = 'MFM' drive of 615 cyls ; 4 heads
FUJITSU M2227D2 = 'MFM' drive of 615 cyls ; 8 heads
LEXIKON HD352 = 'MFM' drive of 612 cyls ; 4 heads

LCS-6210D REV.A1

This is an 'MFM' controller intended for XT class computers. I used to have one of these. Mine is pictured at [here]. If your LCS-6210D REV.A1 has the same revision of BIOS as mine did (the "I2" on the ROM sticker), then it is in the 'Dynamic Controller' category described at [here].

If your LCS-6210D REV.A1 has a different BIOS revision, then the supported drives will depend on which BIOS ROM is fitted.

WD1002A-WX1

This is an 'MFM' controller intended for either XT or AT class computers (selected by jumper).
If yours has the F300 feature BIOS ROM (also known as the 'Super BIOS'), then it is in the 'Dynamic Controller' category described at [here].
If yours does not have the F300 feature BIOS ROM, then the supported drives will depend on which BIOS ROM is fitted.

The BIOS ROM (chip U12) on my WD1002A-WX1 has "62-000094-002" printed on it, and contains the F300 feature.

In the area, so you should be able to 'try before you buy'.

I tried to debug G = C800: 5 and ask me to format it for the whole, and I say yes, then asks me which drive format 0 or 1? and not knowing what to choose I stopped them.
Why I ask me what drive format if I only have a hard drive?
Because it isn't like "modern" plug and play stuff. The controller is designed to support up to two drives, and it has no real way to tell how many are installed. Furthermore, some sadist programmer thought it would be fun to make users count from zero, exactly like no humans do. So "0" means "First" and "1" means "Second". If you connected and configured your drive correctly, then it should be "First".

Furthermore, some sadist programmer thought it would be fun to make users count from zero, exactly like no humans do. So "0" means "First" and "1" means "Second". If you connected and configured your drive correctly, then it should be "First".

Many drives selects were labeled DS0, DS1, up to DS3 typically. Think binary, two bit select. Do you call 00 select 0 or select 1? In some OS's, you even address the first drive as :0 (TRS-DOS to name one).

I have the Fujitsu M2227D2 and I did the test on WD1002A-WX1 not F300 but E017, I started SSTOR and tells me that the bios is locked.
I tried to debug G = C800: 5 and locks the PC.
You can not use this combination?
The g=c800:5 method is working for my WD1002A-WX1
The screen output is shown at [here].
I did not have a hard drive connected.

* Check that the card's W3 jumper is on (enables/disables the card's ROM).
* Make sure that you do not have any other cards in the computer that have a ROM occupying the same address as the WD1002A-WX1's ROM (C8000 to xxxxx).

Back