• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Converting a car phone or old phone handset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robuck

Experienced Member
Hello

I know this doesn't really relate to vintage computers, but I'm not very familiar with other forums where it would be relevant. I am 17, and my mother recently bought me a brand new Dodge Challenger. I loved that car and instantly gained a lot of "cool points" with it, until I crashed it into a tree a few weeks ago. In summary, the car was totaled and now I am buying a 1986 Lincoln Town car. They are slow, weigh 4000 lbs, and will protect me like a tank. To stay with the 80's aesthetic, I want to get a car phone to use in it when I am flying down the highway, smoking a cigarette with the built in ash-tray. Of course, car phones haven't existed for a while due to cell phones being invented, but I still love the concept. Would it be at all possible to mod a handset to plug in to the headphone jack of my modern cell phone? I am envisioning something like those crappy plastic retro phones that do exactly this. Is there a diagram somewhere that can show me how to do this? It doesn't need to have all the functions of the phone working like the keypad or ringer, just the handset.

Thank you guys, any information would be greatly appreciated. If all else fails, I might resort to gutting one of the new cheapy versions and putting its components into the car phone.

You'd probably have to replace at least the transmitter in the handset, depending on the vintage. Older units used carbon-granule units. It all depends on the vintage.

I looked into this before. I have a older late model jag and wile it sort of has Bluetooth it will not work with anything other then pre 3g blackberrys and what not.

I found two things that would work. Add a Bluetooth radio and mic with hands free option or get a retro phone handset thingy and embed a phone in the dash or console. They do make some that look a little more like that you would see in a 80/90s car and not a wall hanger fro your home.
fashion-mini-bluetooth-retro-phone-handset-old.jpg_350x350.jpg

If I were you Id go the retro phone headset rout and just find one that looks the part.

Last edited:
I want to get a car phone to use in it when I am flying down the highway, smoking a cigarette with the built in ash-tray.
Since it's illegal to use a phone while driving in Pennsylvania it would be an infringement of forum rules to assist you in this unwise, immature endeavor to violate state statutes.

I looked into this before. I have a older late model jag and wile it sort of has Bluetooth it will not work with anything other then pre 3g blackberrys and what not.

I found two things that would work. Add a Bluetooth radio and mic with hands free option or get a retro phone handset thingy and embed a phone in the dash or console. They do make some that look a little more like that you would see in a 80/90s car and not a wall hanger fro your home.
fashion-mini-bluetooth-retro-phone-handset-old.jpg_350x350.jpg

If I were you Id go the retro phone headset rout and just find one that looks the part.

Perfect!!! That is exactly what I am looking for, I might even 3d print a holder for it and mount it to the floor :D

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back