• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CP/M-16K, does it exist?

NobodyIsHere

Veteran Member
Has anyone seen or recall a CP/M-16K for the National Semiconductor CPUs (formerly known as NS16032, since renamed to NS32016 and subsequent)

There is a posted article on comp.os.cpm which claims there was a CP/M-16K in addition to the CP/M-Z8K, CP/M-68K, and the more common CP/M-86 and CP/M-80.

It wouldn't surprise me, but I've never seen media from one (that I know of). A 32016 was probably better suited to Unix or PanOS (BBC Micro).

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/CP$2FM-16K%7Csort:relevance/comp.os.cpm/QV31cIBSe4c/veROMrKDkFAJ

First I've heard of it too.

That post was written in 1983, right about at the same time the first (very buggy) 32016s were released. It didn't catch on, so while DRI may have had plans to offer CP/M for it, they may not have ever carried those out, given the initial slow sales of the chip.

Personally, I suspect CP/M-16K is vaporware and either never existed or never made it outside DR's labs.

Let me ask a different question, if one started with the CP/M-68K C sources and ported to NS32K how close would it come to a CP/M-32K implementation?

As I understand it, CP/M-68K C sources are GCC compatible and have been ported to other CPU architectures in the past. 8080, 8086, and NS32K are little endian CPUs. 68K CPU is big endian so that's an immediate complication but without digging in to it further it's hard to say.

I'm not even certain what programming language would have been used. By that time, it was pretty obvious that assembly was not an efficient way to expand one's platform palette.

Back