• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CPU/FPU Detection Program / Routines

Thanks. Results are re-producable with fake86. There are two issues, first that Int 21h function 3306h isn't defined prior to DOS 5 (use function ah=30h), and second Int 2Fh function 160Ah hangs DOS 2.1.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Thanks for the hints. I solved the bug, by first checking whether function 3306H is supported, if not it must be DOS <5 (and the Windows Existence Checking will not be done).

Works with pce using DOS 2.1 (8088, MDA, 256KB).
@pearce_jj: Would you please retry it on a real XT. Which version of DOS do you running on your XT ?

Added Features:
- Prints the Computer Class (e.g. IBM PC, PC/AT, PC/XT, PS/2)
- Prints the Computer Model (if it exists in my database)
- Prints the BIOS Revision Date
- Prints the Model, SubModel, Revision ID Bytes

Ok so that's definitely fixed that issue. I ran some tests - here's the results:

On PC/XT with MHS-D8088,8087, MDA, 256K, DOS2.1. dcpu lists PC/XT, V20, FPU, 256K, Hercules.

On Portable (5155), Intel '83 dated P8088, no FPU, 512K, DOS2.1. dcpu lists PC/XT, V20, no FPU, 512K, CGA.

On PC with Intel 8088, no FPU, MDA, 256K, DOS2.1. dcpu lists PC, 8088, no FPU, 256K, Hercules.

On Tandy 1400FD with V20, no FPU, CGA, 768K, DOS3.3. dcpu lists Unknown PC/XT, V20, no FPU, 640K, CGA.

So it seems the later Intel 8088 is being picked up as a V20 and the IBM MDA is being detected as Hercules. The MHS-8088 I will try to find out what it actually is!

Hope that helps!

For the MDA Detection: Are really sure that no Hercules card is installed? This detection rans 100% successful within DOSBox, my PS/2 M30/286, pce and both 486ers.

For the 8088/V20 Thing: I implemented another method for detecting V30/V20 CPUs.

For the Tandy 1400FD: dcpu only prints the amount of Conventional Memory, not the total amount

Sorry for the troubles, but would you please try this new version ?

Hi, I quickly tested it on V20 and MHS-8088, which were detected as V20 and 8088 respectively, so that looks better!

The cards in these systems I'm sure are IBM MDAs, but I will post up some photos of them once I get chance to pull one out.

Cheers!

you don't need to make photos, just check what video card you have !

Hi MMoeller, I haven't forgotton this, but haven't got access to my kit for a few days. Will post back when I have tested the updated version though.

hmm, ok. Tried it with PCem with all possible video cards: all get detected correctly (MDA, CGA, Hercules+).
The thing is, that according to pearce_jj, MDA doesn't get detected successful on a real IBM PC.
Maybe later revisions of the MDA also (like the Hercules) set the retrace flag correctly, so this newer revisions get detected as Hercules.

Hmm, I need a modified detection algorithm for MDA/Hercules/HGC+/HGC InColor video cards.

I uploaded a modified version, which prints the value stored in the 6845 Status Register.
@pearce_jj: I need this value, please post it here

I notice in the following MDA/Herc detection code, that the author is looking for a change in the bit 7 state. I guess that is because in an MDA card, bit 7 is undefined, and thus the author is allowing for the possibility that in an MDA card (either IBM or non-IBM), bit 7 may be fixed at either 0 or 1.

mda_herc_detection.jpg

I don't know if it still builds as a .COM file, but if it does you could add detection for 8080 and Z80 processors when running under CP/M:
Code:
 org 0100h
 db 0EBh, 40h, 0EBh  ; x86 => JMP 0142h 
                     ; x80 => XCHG ! MOV B,B ! XCHG
 db 97h              ; SUB A
 db 11h, 13h, 01h    ; LXI D,L0113
 db 0EAh, 0Dh, 01h   ; JPE 010Dh
 db 11h, 20h, 01h    ; LXI D, L0122
 db 0Eh, 09h         ; MVI C,9
 db 0CDh, 05h, 00h   ; CALL 5
 db 0C7h             ; RST 0
L0113: 
 db '8080 or 8085', 13, 10, '$'
L0122:
 db 'Z80',13,10,'$'
;
 org 0142h
;x86 code continues...

@JohnElliot: Thanks for the contribution, I have integrated it ! I don't know how to test it, would you plz do that or describe how to do it !?!?!
@modem7: Yes I implemented it the same way as shown in your picture 1 !

Regards,
Martin

Yep, looks like a good job. I guess it really needs someone with a Hercules to give it a whirl too. Tandy 1000SL/TL had them onboard I seem to recall.

Wow, dcpu is now a multi-architecture binary (it runs on both CP/M (x80) and DOS (x86)). I will maybe rewrite it as mixture of Turbo Pascal and Turbo Assembler, to make it more elegant.

this is interesting. it detects a 386 inside fake86 now, but a few weeks ago i tried an older version and it detected an 8086. probably a bug in my emulator?

i just wrote a disney sound source detection routine if you want to include it. it should work but i dont have a sound source anymore. anybody who has one care to test this? :)

Code:
data    equ 378h
status  equ 379h
command equ 37Ah

org 100h

;turn on sound source
mov dx, command
mov al, 4h
out dx, al

;try to overflow the FIFO
mov cx, 32
sendloop: