• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Crazy idea? IEC -> Arduino/Pi -> 3.5 floppy instead of a 1581?

dhoelzer

Veteran Member
Can someone give me a sanity check? I've desired a 1581 for years. I very nearly bought one yesterday, but when the last 10 second price skyrocketed to > $450, it was way more than I'm willing to spend... I'd spend up to $200 or so.

Anyway, I have entertained thoughts of just creating a 1581 controller board. There's even a guy who has done so, but the kit is still > $150. Yikes.

What ran through my mind yesterday was, "Why not just forget the controller board and create my own?"

Is it an insane thought to implement the IEC communication side in an arduino/pi and then interface to the drive directly myself? Effectively, creating a hardware/software emulation of the controller card. Insane?

Isn't there already an available emulation for this? I am sure I have seen reference to one somewhere.

Dave

Not that I know of. to be clear, I'm not asking the Pi/Arduino to provide access to an SD card or something to simulate a disk image... I'm creating the hardware interface there to a real 3.5" floppy drive so that I can use all of these 3.5" floppies, which I greatly prefer over my aging 5 1/4.

Back