• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Creating a boot disk without sysgen stuff

leaknoil

Experienced Member
I have a Pickle and Trout's CP/M 2.2 bootable disk for the TRS-80 Model II. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the menu based system disk creation utility on it. It looks like it has all your standard cp/m utilities. See the attached picture for what I've got to work with. How can I copy the bootblock over to a newly formatted disk with all the files copied over ? I only have a single drive and its a 8" floppy so a pc is out of the question for now anyway.

files.jpg

Last edited:
Fastcopy worked to copy all the files to a new disk but, if there is an option for making it bootable I can't see it mentioned. There seemed to be two utilities for that CLONE and MENU. Both of which are MIA from the disk. Just my luck. Maybe it was on purpose since this was more a dBASE demo disk.

If it helps, I can offer the source for a system track copy for a different machine. It uses two drives, however, so you'd have to add a prompt to swap disks after each track.

That's a kind offer but, I think its above my pay grade. I couldn't even manage hello world on a Z80. I have been meaning to learn though. I read the first thirty pages or so of Zak's Z80 book and got a splitting headache. That guy can make anything difficult to understand but, its probably just me. As I've gotten older it has gotten much harder to read technical books. My mind just wonders off and I end up reading the same page four times. Then I give up and go check the internet for funny cat pictures.

That guy can make anything difficult to understand but, its probably just me.

me too!

SYSGEN puts CP/M on the boot tracks but I don't see it on your list. PIP can't copy system tracks, only files. But PIP can send and receive data via a serial port if the CP/M bios has been told about these.

Hmm, tricky. You don't have a serial port by any chance?

Back