• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Creative CT7240 - What it is and what it's for -Demystified-

Raven

Veteran Member
I've had this card in one of my bins for a few years now, not really knowing what it was. Googling CT7240 revealed precious little mention beyond others trying to figure out what it was or where they could get drivers for it.

Looking at the card, it's got some memory, a big creative chip (CT7235-VBQ), a small creative chip, and an Analog Devices ADV7175AKS. If you were to start searching these up, you would likely find little information and still not be able to ascertain what the card is for.

On the slot cover, the card gets really confusing. It has Line Out, SPDIF Out, TV Out, VGA Out, and VGA In. The VGA in is the strangest, as it's not a "VGA" port, it looks akin to an S-Video port but with more and scrambled pins. At this point you might think it's a video accelerator of some kind, like the early Voodoos with a passthrough? You'd be partially correct.

5133CXDT97L.jpg

After much searching, I have uncovered the mystery that is this card. It turns out that it is a DVD/MPEG2 Decoder. Like the HD decoder cards today used in netbooks and laptops to allow weaker machines to play HD content, this was used to let older machines play DVDs and MPEG2 video without relying on the host system as heavily as normal. This means that instead of requiring a 600Mhz or so P3 to play DVDs comfortably, you could play them on a 133Mhz Pentium (minimum) or 400Mhz P2 (recommended).

(See http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004Z8X5/103-7494153-2009459?v=glance for product info on one of the versions of the card)

In addition to this, the card has an unintended feature. Since it's designed to do VGA input, passed to output, of which it has more than one.. it can convert VGA->S-Video/Composite. This is the feature which I intend to use mine for, as boxes to perform this (without being crap) cost somewhere in the order of $200+.

Apparently a notable purpose for this card was for playing Wing Commander IV.

The card has drivers for Win9x->WinXP (Beta driver, never finished) but you won't find them by coing to Creative, they don't acknowledge the card's existence. You also won't find them by searching for CT7240.

It turns out that this card is a rebadged device by "Sigma Designs" (who also pretends it doesn't exist now) called the "Hollywood Plus". Several other companies rebadged it as well, meaning that drivers of various versions are available for the card under different names. There are also at least two Creative models, CT7230 and CT7240, I believe a bit different, but they serve similar purpose.

Anyway, the most common name for this device is "DXR3", which is what the Linux driver project for this card refers to it as. If searching for Linux drivers, use that term, and if Windows, call it a "Hollywood Plus".

Linux Driver: http://dxr3.sourceforge.net/
2K/XP Beta Driver (2.2): http://fileforum.betanews.com/detai...e-Dxr3-Drivers-for-Windows-2000XP/960746139/1
9x/NT Drivers: http://www.boot-loader.ru/file.php?id=653
(I have copies of both of the Windows drivers, so let me know if the links die and I'll upload them somewhere for you.)
(Future searchers try me at t6600c <at> gmail if I'm not active here at the time.)

Unfortunately there's no 64-bit driver for the device, otherwise it's compatible from Win95->Win7-32 just fine, so whether you want to take a load off of a weaker machine's CPU when playing DVDs or you want to convert VGA->TV, this could work for you.

There's one caveat, though, and that's that the VGA input has that odd pinout DIN connector.

I found a page (http://www.resellerratings.com/foru...70-looking-dxr3-cable-vga-loopback-cable.html) that has the pinout, which it turns out is available in some versions of the drivers' readme file. I translated it away from the ASCII art that hasn't kept well over time:

Code:
Creative CT7240 (PC-DVD Encore DXR3) VGA Input Pinout

9 8  7
6 5 4 3
  2 1

1:Blue IN
2:GND
3:Green IN
4:GND
5:Vsync IN
6:Hsync IN
7:Red IN
8:SDA (from pin12 of DB15) - for PnP monitors
9:SCL (from pin15 of DB15) - for PnP monitors

I was tempted to put this under the "Reviews" section, but since I wasn't evaluating the performance of the card (I don't have the loopback cable yet) I put it here.

Thank you raven for this informative post.

Do you perhaps have any updated information?

Could you actually receive any feed/image using the CT7240?

Using the Linux DXR3 driver and Mplayer you can play any video that Mplayer can decode and direct the output to the DXR3 card. :)

I ahve one of these cards too. I rigged a VGA cable to the DIN plug as I had lost the original cable and it now sees use in my dual P-PRO IBM system.
RFunny that you can't find the drivers. Creative ahd them on their stite still two years ago.

I ahve one of these cards too. I rigged a VGA cable to the DIN plug as I had lost the original cable and it now sees use in my dual P-PRO IBM system.
RFunny that you can't find the drivers. Creative ahd them on their stite still two years ago.

You'd be surprised at the rate of purge occurring. Just a couple of months ago I could go to 3com support and dl the drivers form my EISA and ISA 3com cards. However, now the site goes directly to HP w/out any real informative support. I know HDD space costs money and bandwidth is not free but it is ridiculous to be removing these old drivers. You could prop ably fit all of 3com's driver packages into less than 100MB and I doubt its like they are being dl 24x7. Just put them on an ftp server and leave it alone but I guess anything that helps push you to upgrade!

Interesting card indeed. I wonder if the code for it in the kernel and Mplayer actually still works. Linux nominally supports, or at least did in recent times, kittage suck as MFM controllers, Hercules, bus mice, MCA busses, non plug-and-play ISA board, and even parallel port keyboards. I'd rather not count on any of it working though. On another note, I know there used to be MPEG1 accelerator boards once upon a time. Seems hilarious now, but I suppose it makes sense. I certainly do remember watching the MPEG-encoded videos on the Windows 95 CD show only a few frames per second on our family 486DX/2 with local bus video.

But could you record or view from an external source?

I don't think you can use it for input, at least not easily.
You might want to take a look at the linux dxr3 driver page there is plenty of information there.

Interesting card indeed. I wonder if the code for it in the kernel and Mplayer actually still works. Linux nominally supports, or at least did in recent times, kittage suck as MFM controllers, Hercules, bus mice, MCA busses, non plug-and-play ISA board, and even parallel port keyboards. I'd rather not count on any of it working though. On another note, I know there used to be MPEG1 accelerator boards once upon a time. Seems hilarious now, but I suppose it makes sense. I certainly do remember watching the MPEG-encoded videos on the Windows 95 CD show only a few frames per second on our family 486DX/2 with local bus video.

You have to download & compile the dxr3 stuff separately as it is not a part of the mainstream kernel.
I last used the linux driver about three years ago so it should not be too difficult to port it to a more recent kernel.
One more thing: The linux driver actually depends on some of the windows driver binaries from which you have to extract some firmware that the card needs. Without the firmware the card does not work.

Last edited:
I actually bought the 8X Dxr3 kit brand new back in late 1999. I used to run the Hollywood+ drivers under Windows 2000 because Creative couldn't be bothered to update their branded drivers beyond beta. That decoder was the quality benchmark for years, no other MPEG2 hardware decoder came close. The card was strictly a VGA overlay board (like old skool ISA TV tuner cards), it will only output decoded DVD video on the composite and S-Video ports. Now the card (with correct dongle) sits in a box somewhere. The DVD-ROM drive (Panasonic, reads DVD-RAM, rare for the time), still sits in that old PC.

Would it be possible to capture video from the "VGA input"? or it is simply redirected to the "VGA output" without any possibility of capturing it?

It's an overlay passthrough. It takes the incoming VGA signal, overlays the decoded DVD video on top of it, and then outputs that to the monitor.

And it wasn't a new idea at the time (late '90s). When IBM designed the Microchannel bus in 1987, they gave one of the slots an extra connector to allow a video passthrough, so that fancy graphics cards (like the 8514/A) didn't need to duplicate the circuitry of the onboard graphics -- if you were using standard VGA modes, the video card would just pass through the output of the onboard video to the monitor.

Is anyone interested in buying one of these?

I just found one, in working order and it includes the pass-through VGA cable. I have it on a test bench at the moment and it is passing through the video from the graphics card to the monitor as expected.

Very interesting piece and helpful thread!

I have one of these cards and that made me register here. It's really hard to find drivers these days.
I could get the driver for Win2k/XP via the internet archive https://web.archive.org/web/2005012...r.biz:80/Pub/Support/Creative/ENCORE_DXR3.EXE
and for 9x on creative's website, strangely https://support.creative.com/downlo...4.1182487732.1586013957-1889893498.1586013957
and there's more: http://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_creative_pc_dvd_encore_dxr3_ct7240.html
I'll check those out on a Windows ME machine. I also wonder if the software is included

Back