• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cromemco dazzler replica project

New version 2.0 of the Dazzler test utility available. Please check https://github.com/akueckes/Cromemco-Dazzler-RevD.

I've fixed some minor issues and also added the capability for the playback of video clips. Hope it is working with real hardware. The playback function is using the vertical sync flag from the Dazzler for timing and in order to avoid screen garbage. Again, only BDOS is required, both 8080 and Z80 supported.

Have fun :)

I forgot to mention, the sample clips contain 45 frames (hex 2d) for MONKEY.MOV and 12 frames (hex 0c) for ZAXXON.MOV.

For the time being, there is no agreed Dazzler file format for including meta data, so every file needs some description with it.

Concerning my own Rev D production, I am struggling a bit with JLCPCB. I've sent them the Gerbers which look perfectly in their Gerber viewer, plus clear instructions on not removing the silkscreen on areas without solder mask (which they actually offer as an option in their instructions) to better match the original PCBs, but this works out tough. It seems that everything outside the standard path is not really their strength.

To be fair, JLCPCB gives phantastic prices, and the quality is still quite good. And experienced personnel and customization simply is expensive.

Concerning the ENIG plating, it seems almost impossible to have that done on the connector fingers only.

All that is cosmetical only, and has no impact on the function. But I am interested in how close we can get to the originals.

Attachments

• JLCPCB Dazzler RevD first production run.jpg
    JLCPCB Dazzler RevD first production run.jpg
    978.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I forgot to mention, the sample clips contain 45 frames (hex 2d) for MONKEY.MOV and 12 frames (hex 0c) for ZAXXON.MOV.

For the time being, there is no agreed Dazzler file format for including meta data, so every file needs some description with it.

This is awesome, the ZAXXON.MOV plays back perfectly in color and looks great.

However, I'm having trouble with the MONKEY.MOV file, it plays back the first few frames but then glitches out & repeats.

(y) MONKEY.MOV is an example for 512 bytes/frame and greyscale mode, ZAXXON.MOV for 2048 bytes/frame and color mode. I limited the clip size to ~24K so that they play on most systems. Quality will improve with the number of frames (smoother playback). Guess I'll also include larger samples, but I am not sure about the free memory size of your system.

Last edited:
Attached is a ZAXXON.MOV with 22 (hex 16) frames. Should nearly double the frame rate and work with a 48K CP/M with Dazzler DMA address 0800 hex (the Dazzler test utility requires ~1,500 + 256 bytes offset).

CCP area probably will be overwritten, though (TPA is 41K only).

Attachments

• ZAXXON.ZIP
    13.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back