• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DATASSETTE RECORD IN MOD

Desperado

Veteran Member
Hi everyone, I know that it is possible to solder a jack on the Datassette recorder board. In this way it would be possible to record games from a PC or smartphone, directly on cassette. I looked for a while on the net but there is a lot of confusion and I didn't quite understand where to solder the two wires of the jack ... Can anyone help me please? Thanks!

By datasette do you mean the Commodore unit?

If so, I don't think you can...

If it is not a Commodore unit (e.g. a standard cassette deck) then you will have to specify exactly what manufacturer, make and model.

Dave

By datasette do you mean the Commodore unit?

If so, I don't think you can...

If it is not a Commodore unit (e.g. a standard cassette deck) then you will have to specify exactly what manufacturer, make and model.

Dave
Yes Dave, Commodore Datassette.... I read in this forum that it's possible:

Ah, I see what they are doing now.

So, the $64k question is "do you have exactly the same part number for the datasette they mention"?

Dave

Ah, I see what they are doing now.

So, the $64k question is "do you have exactly the same part number for the datasette they mention"?

Dave
Yes i welded the two jack s'wires in the points indicated but when I try to load a game from my smartphone and record on cassette, I try to load from cassette without success :(

There are three different pictures shown with three different wirings for three different reasons.

So which one did you implement?

Dave

So can you post a photograph of where you have connected the wires to the datassette. Your original post indicated that you were confused about where to connect the wires to.

They also state about connecting to an old fashioned output (speaker). A modern smartphone may not have sufficient drive.

Dave

They also state about connecting to an old fashioned output (speaker). A modern smartphone may not have sufficient drive.
I have seen some videos on the net where it works without any problems with the smartphone ...

I welded in this Way:

Attachments

• 1668886343266..jpg
    1668886343266..jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 1668886398408..jpg
    1668886398408..jpg
    937 KB · Views: 7
That looks correct to me.

I assume you have connected the yellow wire to the outer sleeve of the jack and the blue wire to the tip of the jack?

Dave

I presume then you have played a waveform out of your PC and recorded onto the datasette cassette, yes?

Have you tried to listen to the resulting cassette recording on a normal cassette player?

I assume your jack plug to your PC has three 'pins'? A tip, a ring and a sleeve. I assume the ring is not connected?

The tip is the left hand channel with the ring the right hand channel. By wiring up the tip and sleeve (not the ring) only the left hand channel is used.

Dave

I assume your jack plug to your PC has three 'pins'? A tip, a ring and a sleeve. I assume the ring is not connected?

I have this:

Attachments

• 1668889487102..jpg
    1668889487102..jpg
    995.4 KB · Views: 0
Yes, that is a TRS (tip, ring sleeve) jack plug.

A smartphone and an app, same thing in my book...

So, how do you know if you have recorded anything?

What you can do is to play the output from your smartphone/app with your oscilloscope connected - with the screen of the probe to the yellow wire and tip of the probe to the blue wire - and see what output voltage you see (whilst recording onto tape).

If you play the tape back - with the screen of the oscilloscope probe to the yellow wire and the tip of the oscilloscope probe connected to the point indicated in the photograph for the LINE OUT (first photograph). You don't require any components for this. See if you see anything on the oscilloscope when you are playing the cassette.

Dave

Yes, that is a TRS (tip, ring sleeve) jack plug.

A smartphone and an app, same thing in my book...

So, how do you know if you have recorded anything?

What you can do is to play the output from your smartphone/app with your oscilloscope connected - with the screen of the probe to the yellow wire and tip of the probe to the blue wire - and see what output voltage you see (whilst recording onto tape).

If you play the tape back - with the screen of the oscilloscope probe to the yellow wire and the tip of the oscilloscope probe connected to the point indicated in the photograph for the LINE OUT (first photograph). You don't require any components for this. See if you see anything on the oscilloscope when you are playing the cassette.

Dave
Hi Dave,
if i connect scope probe on smarphone output when i load a game from tapdancer, i see a good waveform but if i connect when i play cassette, i see only some noise signal :(

Back