• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC 6502 Cross-assembly

@Al Kossow welp, something actually came of this :) Thank you. :)

As it turned out, I was able to build the assemblers, and their linker, and combine it with the centipede coin-op in the historicalsource github repo, and was able to build identical roms to production units. :)

Thanks to Jim Geist, who noticed that the LINK0.MAC on the e2_tools disk was actually the LINKM, and not the normal LINK. The versions of the tools on the f8 disk produces slightly different (and buggy) results.

Seriously, this assembler/linker is wild! Dan Shepperd in Atari Coin-Op took MACRO-11 and LINK and transmogrified the f*** out of it to emit 6502, 6800, and 6809 binaries (and to parse hex instead of octal, etc.)

I've bundled up centipede, the atari tools, and some disk images for SimH (and a config) into a github repo with notes, and it's here: https://github.com/tschak909/atari-coin-op-assembler

So now pretty much all the early atari coin-ops in the historicalsource archive can be built end-to-end, now. :)

-Thom

SO that brings me to my question. Does anyone going to VCF East have a centipede board and a monitor? I'd love to show doing a code change, and burning a new set of EPROMs, as part of my talk on old-school game cross-dev! :)

centiped2.png

Last edited:
In this RE-RECORDED #retrocomputing #archaeology series video, we show how the tools at #ATARI coin-op worked, in-context. We modify Centipede, assemble, link, and create new EPROMs with our changes. #retrogaming #gamedev

Back