• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC Celebris 6200/GL Single vs. Dual

BlueofRainbow

Experienced Member
This is about a Pentium PRO system and thus may/may not belong in this category.

I have a DEC Celebris 6200/GL Low-Profile Desktop system which works sufficiently well to boot and install BeOS R5. One nag is that I installed on a 8.5 GB hard drive and now have to deal with the nasty 8.5 GB boundary issue. I know about the work-around tricks from that era but have not tried any of them yet.

This motherboard has the solder pads but not the sockets for a second processor and its related voltage regulator module.

Does anyone knows if ever there was a dual processor Celebris in the low-profile form factor? Googling wide only suggests the tower form factor.

This makes me wonder, if ever I was to find a fully populated motherboard and swapped it in, would I encounter heat dissipation and power supply issues?

By-the-way, if anyone has such fully populated motherboard gathering dust in a closet or storage area, I would be interested to hear about it - the prospect of being able to run BeOS R5 on two identical platforms differing only by how many processors are available is rather fascinating.

I have the DEC Ventura 6200/GL Tower, but it's a single processor board; like your Celebris the second cpu socket is missing (solder pads present). The design looks like it was easy enough to swap out the upper board (cpu + onboard io + ram) if a dual socket model was specced at time of purchase.

I used a PCI Ultra ATA controller in mine to overcome the BIOS hard drive limit.

One thing I don't like about the design is the lower PCI/ISA board - plenty of sockets for both types, but using one of one type prevents you using one of the other.

Back