• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC PDP 11/70 in Europe?

edcross

Experienced Member
Dear forum, over the recent months I have grown an interest on all things DEC PDP, so far my admiration surrounds the 11/70 and 11/73 systems, two machines very capable and far from each other in terms of technology integration (70s vs 80s).

I'd like to get your advice as to what a minimum viable system is for both the 11/70 and 11/73 that can get you a functional system and perhaps go BSD UNIX. Also any ideas as to how to get hold of the rarer 11/70 these days?

Look forward to your feedback.

Dear forum, over the recent months I have grown an interest on all things DEC PDP, so far my admiration surrounds the 11/70 and 11/73 systems, two machines very capable and far from each other in terms of technology integration (70s vs 80s).

I'd like to get your advice as to what a minimum viable system is for both the 11/70 and 11/73 that can get you a functional system and perhaps go BSD UNIX. Also any ideas as to how to get hold of the rarer 11/70 these days?

Look forward to your feedback.

A real live PDP 11/70? Buy some lottery tickets and/or be in the right place at the right time as some upper management fool decides to trash their company's old system.

Before I retired in 2014, in the North Dade Switching Control Center's space on the second floor of the Miami Shores building sat a PDP11/23 with an RX02 and an RL02. It had been sitting there since the SCC was closed in the late 1980's. If it is still there, it will likely be junked if and when AT&T decides it needs that space. But they, and most companies, simply have no procedures in place to move that stuff into the collectors' market. So rather than sell it, they'll pay a "recycler" to haul it off.

Last edited:
I have a near complete Board Set, and search for an 11/70, complete or in parts for a longer time, but have not managed to find one by now.

But with some luck and at this point >> space, transportation capabilities and money ... who knows.

Hi All;

I have either most or all of the main 11/70 boards, which I got some years ago, and I have not seen any since..

For my 11/45, for both comparison and for modifying my 11/45..

And I have not seen an 11/70 in quite a while..

THANK YOU Marty

An 11/73 with 1 MB of memory (at least 2 MB would be better), a QBUS ethernet, console serial port and SCSI controller with a disk is suitable for BSD 2.11.

Nice collection! If I remember it correctly, I should have a core stack for an 11/70 somewhere...
It is a three hex board set, but not 100% sure if it's for the 11/70

Back