• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dec RK8E controller for RK05 wanted

That is a Philips TX400, nicknamed "dog house". The very first commercial TV receiver from Philips.
Roland will no doubt chime in to correct me !....

Nice work on the RK05 Roland, happy to see it working. I still need to start on my remaining RK05's...

Very nice work all around, including the slooow baud rate on the VT05.

Now, please tell us a little more about the television next to the terminal!

Yeah the VT05 is slow. It's set on 300 Baud. 2400 Baud works also but
some characters are skipped after commands like linefeed. According the
VT05 manual it needs Null (0000000) filler characters after some commands.
I've made a little posting with a question how to set OS/8 to make use of these
fill characters. But I haven't solved that yet...

About the TV. That is a Philips TX594 with 9" crt. After world war 2 Philips setup their radio and TV production again.
In 1949 Philips used 150 of these prototype sets to test with TV broadcasting. The sets were placed
at Philips employees to test. They had to report things like receiving quality etc...
The set was called "The little dog" (Het hondje). Because it's round back it looks like a sitting dog.
The first commercial model is the TX400 which is called the doghouse like Jos mentioned.

(Left the TX594 and right the TX400)
Philips TX594U 01.jpg Philips TX400U 01.jpg

Before the war we had mr Kerkhof which was a ham radio amateur and a TV pioneer.
He wrote a book about how to build a TV. Since none of them survived I've started to
read his book and started to build the TV. (Dutch story)
And a little demo on youtube: https://youtu.be/mTYpPpfRZS8

So it's not only old computers over here... :D

Nice work on the RK05 Roland, happy to see it working. I still need to start on my remaining RK05's...

Hi Jos,

I'm very happy with the drive, so thanks again! To be honest I didn't expect to have it running by now.
And I guess I was very lucky that I could buy that Plessey controller which David mentioned.
Without that I would not have that drive running by now.

Regards, Roland

Back