• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC units on ebay

An 8/e in germany: Ebay
I don't understand why this looks like trash. Not even cleaned up a little bit.
That could be a nice machine. Lots of desirable boards and options. It appears to have a DR8E, KP8E, PT8E, TD8E with the ROM for OS/8 boot, and even a VC8E. The console is on an M8650. Looks like a full 32k. The listing has it wrong and shows the G111 as 4k. The Plessey boards are each 8k. The only thing that seems to be missing is the M8320 bus loads card. Having all the cables is a huge plus! The broken paddle switches are fixable. I also like that the cover is present.

I would rather they not try to clean up a machine I am going to restore. They tend to lose things and mess stuff up. Finding a TU56, PC05, and display for the VC8E will be the harder part.

A,bit too rich for my blood even if there wasn't the problem of transport to the US.

It's on Craigslist, but may be of interest to someone in the area.

00j0j_eXsen2TWNwf_0oc0jx_600x450.jpg

- DEC PDP8/A Vintage Computer by Digital Equipment Corp

.. and eBay does have recent listings for
Seems like pricing for some vintage DEC items is approaching the original MLP (Maynard List Price).

There is a tested and apparently working PDP-8/M on Ebay:

The price is a bit high at US$4800 but the listing has a "Make Offer" button.

It includes a 2 year Radwell warranty, so seem like an attractive buy if you have that kind of money laying around.

It includes a 2 year Radwell warranty, so seem like an attractive buy if you have that kind of money laying around.
Although I've purchased a few ICs from them and they' seem pretty professional I seriously doubt that they have any Certified DEC Field Service personal on staff ... so I'd take that warranty as advertising boilerplate rather than a worthwhile commitment. Not to mention that they can't bother to take even a single photo of the modules or provide a list. And I have my doubts about "tested" and "cleaned". Do you feel lucky ... punk? (Dirty Harry)

editedOptionModuleLst_Apr83.pdf lists the PDP8M-EK as "8K PDP8M, RACK MOUNTABLE, KC8-ML CONSOLE, 120V OEM". The PDP8M is listed there as "BASIC PDP8-M, 8/E IN SHORT BOX". So if the DEC tag is correct there's not much there. I'd guess that there are added some inscrutable OEM modules specific to a machine tool.

I see that the PDP8F is listed as "BASIC PDP8-E IN SHORT BOX W KL8-E, KC8-FL CONSOLE"; note that it includes a KL8-E whereas the 8M doesn't, so I guess that the 8M is as minimalist as one can get.

WOW-how about a PC8E/PC04 paper tape reader/punch for $15k !!!!

Dale
Only eclipsed by the seller's optimism! "If someone would like to make a Buy It Now offer higher than the opening bid, please message me"

And while you are spending all your crypto profits on that PC04, you can pick up this too ...
PDP-8m front panel plex for $600...

The same seller has an RKV11 for >2k USD (about a quarter million Oz Dollarydoos) which I would be interested in, but I'm a bit hesitant at that price. AFAIK this uses three of the RK11-D modules and a custom 4-height Qbus I/F module plus a special wired backplane?
A while ago I asked on cctalk about this and someone said they had the RKV11 engineering drawings and wirelist, but sadly no further information was offered. I think it would be great to have a KiCAD repop of that board.

The same seller has an RKV11 for >2k USD (about a quarter million Oz Dollarydoos) which I would be interested in, but I'm a bit hesitant at that price. AFAIK this uses three of the RK11-D modules and a custom 4-height Qbus I/F module plus a special wired backplane?
An interesting device as it apparently uses (just) 3/4th of the Unibus controller implementation plus a variant M7269 bus control (quad-height metal-tabbed), and then an M7268 adapter (double-height) that plugs into the Qbus). You'd need to replicate two modules, plus the SU/backplane signal paths.

The lengths DEC went to in order to enable customer CPU upgrades while preserving support for existing peripherals!

Looking at this RKV11 offering, the print set shown appears to be for the RXV11 rather than the RKV11 unit itself. So I guess that the buyer would possibly still have to be looking for the RKV11 drawings?

A while ago I asked on cctalk about this and someone said they had the RKV11 engineering drawings and wirelist, but sadly no further information was offered. I think it would be great to have a KiCAD repop of that board.
I had one of those for quite a while and that matches my recollection of the arrangement. I might also still have prints.
Amusingly, I think I might have pulled the cards to complete a RK-11.

Good-looking PDP11/34a CPU and control boards as a DEC Spares Set

They're in the UK and ending today.

DEC PDP 11/34A CPU Spares Kit. KD11-EA M8265 Data Path M8266 Control. NEW UNUSED​

1712061533134.png

The RKV11D controller is pretty amazing, even includes the card separator (I had those on my 11/V03). Still, I wonder if it worked on RSX11M as it was a 16 bit only DMA peripheral....

"One is not DEC, I have no information on it."

One is not like the other two, but there's 3 DEC drives there. Maybe he's confused by the RK05F?
All sorts of weird stuff this week, but I really don't know if I want an RM03. So was the RK05-F two platters, or just one double density RK05 that didn't have to worry about pack removal?

the RK05-F is just one double [track] density RK05 that doesn't have to worry about pack removal.
Track alignment was too challenging to accomodate pack swapping on the RK05-F.
Didn't the RM03 need 'data center' AC power?

Nope. RM03 could run on a 15a 120 volt circuit. If you had two of them you could hook up the spindle delay line and run two on a 15a circuit.

Too fast for a normal pdp11, but fine for a Decsystem20

Back