• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DeluxeHosting is a festering malware pit

SomeGuy

Veteran Member
So I previously posted about how awful Deluxe Hosting
(www.deluxehosting.com) and their support is:

Like a moron, I didn't switch from them then. After being down for way, way, way too long, they got the server back up. I hadn't had time to mess with it. Figured what the hell, how much worse can it get?

Well, now it is malware!

Happy, happy, joy, joy. That is actually MUCH WORSE than just being down.

So what is happening? Various PHP files started appearing on my site - I don't use PHP for anything. On closer inspection some of these PHP file were "php file manager" and others looked like they served up malicious advertising spam or who knows what else.

I don't use any kind of scripting on my site. It is all static HTML. So it should be impossible for anything on my site content to be responsible.

At first I figured it was some transient issue that would have already been resolved by a server patch somewhere, or perhaps some bit of cruft I missed somewhere. So I just deleted everything and re-uploaded from my local copy. Changed my cPanel password just to be sure.

They came back. And they keep on coming back.

Still not exactly sure how they are attacking the server. The only access I have is through cPanel, SSH/SFTP, and an e-mail account.

An attack around April 1 uploaded more crap PHP, but also disabled spamassasin on the server - I mean removed the icon from cpanel and killed the spam assassin process.

Obviously anything from my account should not be able to do that.

I contacted their support specifically about the spamassasin issue and they claimed everything was working perfectly, without even looking at it, and to add massive insult to injury, they tried to upsell me on some subscription based external mail filtering service! Assholes.

Following the logs, it looks as if someone from random IP addresses is logging in to my cPanel account. No way they could have my password though - I just changed it.

I tried contacting DeluxeHosting's useless e-mail support again.

Their useless tech support was blaming me for having "custom code" on my web site.
They obviously had not even looked at it, or they would have seen only a few static HTML files and zip file downloads.

They did suggest that there might be "processes" running in my account, but I saw nothing. No scheduled tasks either. They offered to "block ip addresses", however looking at logs, these are coming from mostly random IP addresses.

They also tried blaming my computer as possibly having malware. If that were true, that would be a very interesting trick. They didn't even offer any evidence, just outright accused me.

One time that this malware magically re-appeared was suspiciously at almost the same time that one of their "techs" e-mailed me saying they had just checked my account and found no malware. Hmmmmmmm.

At multiple points I have tried logging in to cPannel to find that my password has been changed. Fortunately, I have been able to reset my password. Obviously I am using "secure" passwords, not the same combination as my luggage.

Interesting fact: when I call their support they ask me to verify who I am by asking for the last four digits of my credit card on file with them or the last four characters of my cPannel password.... yes they can apparently see at least the last four characters. Such wonderful security.

So at the moment, I'm thinking either there is a gaping cPanel exploit, the server is rooted, and/or their Indian techs are corrupt as hell. (Yes, when one of their techs logged in to cPanel - oh, and no they don't need my password to log in - the IP in the log indeed showed they were in India, as if the badly broken English and incompetence were not enough of a giveaway).

And just now I found my cPanel password is changed and the recovery e-mail address is changed so I can't log in to cPanel at all.

They appear to be running cPanel 86.0.40. I don't know much about that but a quick search shows that as out of date.

Groans.

I have a WHM reseller account with control over multiple CPanel accounts so maybe I can clarify a few things.

I can login to any CPanel account with my root password. I don't need the user's password. When I do this, CPanel will record my IP. So that part is normal.

I can change the user's password, however I cannot see the user's password. Passwords are stored as hashes. So if the user changes their password, I have no idea what it is. The fact that they are "verifying" your password indicates shady stuff going on, like they have some kind of password skimmer that is also recording your password in plaintext when you change it. I would not be surprised if these passwords have been stored somewhere insecure and are now being exploited.

I would definitely not stay with this hosting company because your account will never be secure.

Hmm, it would be interesting to know if someone is logging in to cPanel as the "root" user or regular user. Doesn't show that in the logs. If it was an exploit it might not matter, but it would be a bit of damming information if I could show a cPanel "root" user was doing this.

Are there known cPanel exploits with this version that would allow some random person to just magically log in? Is there anything else server related that I could tell them to look at?

Full disclosure: I don't like "admin-GUI" things, be they of web or any other kind. I prefer machines / accounts where I can use ssh, git, ansible and other command line tools.
I have never used cPanel, but the list of vulnerabilities is long: https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-1766/Cpanel.html
(I used "cpanel security vulnerabilites" as a search term)
There is also this: https://bitninja.com/blog/zero-day-attack-in-cpanel-and-whm/

The advice already given in this thread is sound: find somewhere else to host your stuff, it might save you grief and time.

Back