• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dep't. of Homeland Security says: don't use Internet Explorer

If Firefox doesn't require SSE2, than Pale Moon shouldn't. Something tells me whoever built the binary wasn't watching their compiler switches. Many new compilers (*cough* Visual Studio) enabled SSE2 by default on x86 32-bit builds when they really shouldn't.

https://connect.microsoft.com/Visua...r-generates-sse-instructions-without-arch-sse
http://virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=354

I got Firefox 29 looking exactly like 28, not easy when one has tabs set to be below the navigation bar. Make sure you install the latest beta of Classic Theme Restorer, it has many new options. My main computer's install of Firefox wouldn't change the max width of tabs for some reason, so I had to install TabMix Plus. I haven't used it since the days of Mozilla Application Suite, it has quite a few nice features now!

Many new compilers (*cough* Visual Studio) enabled SSE2 by default on x86 32-bit builds when they really shouldn't.
Sorry, but why not? Why should anyone sleazing out a modern program using a tool like Visual Studio give a flying purple fish if what they compile doesn't run on a Pentium 3? You've got to draw the line SOMEWHERE.. lands sakes SSE3 is now a decade old.

Though honestly with SSE4, AVX and FMA being commonplace, I'm starting to wonder if those Gentoo nutters have it right -- how much software out there is running like crap just because of binaries built to still support two decade old processors.

I just installed Pale Moon, and it is significantly faster than Firefox. It actually makes JavaScript-and-Flash-ridden web sites usable on a Pentium 4! But it requires SSE2, so it won't run on anything older than a Pentium 4 or Athlon 64.
There's plenty of those lying next to or in skips that can be put to good use.

Sorry, but why not? Why should anyone sleazing out a modern program using a tool like Visual Studio give a flying purple fish if what they compile doesn't run on a Pentium 3? You've got to draw the line SOMEWHERE.. lands sakes SSE3 is now a decade old.
It would at least be nice if they provided optional lower-end binaries - I can understand not wanting to put additional development effort into supporting old systems, but stuff like SSE2/3 is pretty much just a compiler switch unless they're incorporating low-level assembler optimizations.

I got Firefox 29 looking exactly like 28

That's great... but why? Does Firefox 29 really have any useful new features that you can't get in 24.5.x ESR? I set up 29 with Classic Theme Restorer, but after realizing that it isn't giving me any new features or improvements that I need -- on the contrary, it broke compatibility with most of the add-ons I was using -- I switched to ESR-based Pale Moon, which will continue to get security updates through at least October 2014 (at which point Mozilla plans to "Australisize" the ESR version as well, although the main release of Australis was delayed by five versions -- it was originally planned for Firefox 24 -- so that may end up being delayed as well).

I just started using 29.

The top bar makes it look bald. I see it's now not labelled clearly as being Firefox and the menu is less obvious but the area it previously used is still there so no extra space gained. I don't get it.

Back