• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dep't. of Homeland Security says: don't use Internet Explorer

I'm so glad I pay taxes so the government can recommend I don't do what I don't do anyway...

Duh, what else is new?

Since when do *we* get our technical direction from some governmental agency? I tend to rely more on tech savvy individuals and firms, e.g., Edward Snowden. BTW, Vladimir Pukin says don't use any computer at all -- for anything! :) :) :)

More flotsam and jetsam from Microsoft. Well orchestrated to coincide with push to bury Xp. Who really needs IE anyway?

If its so important why isn't it on the DHS web site:-

http://www.dhs.gov/

I sense a scam of some sort... The current Vulnerability Summary for the Week of April 21, 2014:-

http://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/bulletins/SB14-118

does not mention IE 11. It does list several minors for Apple products though. Any one give me a pointer to the article on the DHS site?

I can't find anything on the CERT site either.

http://www.cert.org/

It all seems to be about Heartbleed....
.. ah now I have found here:-

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/222929

I can't say where that says not to use IE.....

Isn't this ancient news? i mean it seems to pop up every 12 months or so. and just a newer version of IE is added to the list.

Yeah this is circulating around here also. The "recommended" solution (currently no Microsoft patch is out) is setting your IE security settings to high although that's likely going to inconvenience general end users quite a bit.

Microsoft releases MS14-021 today. You'll enjoy the irony but since such a large range of IE versions and Windows versions are vulnerable to this attack yes they have a patch for XP ;-)

Oh I should include also some bug/issue for Windows 7 users. You want to have KB 2929437 installed before applying this fix otherwise IE may crash.

Microsoft releases MS14-021 today. You'll enjoy the irony but since such a large range of IE versions and Windows versions are vulnerable to this attack yes they have a patch for XP ;-)

Yes, I was surprised to see the new update for XP today:

260qx3r.png

I'm going to say what I've been saying since sometime around 2004...

Using IE as your browser is the equivalent of stripping naked, painting a bullseye on yourself in glow-in-the-dark paint, and running into the jungles of Vietnam in the late '60's screaming "shoot me, shoot me!" so far as security is concerned. They do not have a history of security that could possibly result in anything resembling trust, and older versions have unpatched gaping security holes big enough to sail the USS IOWA through.

ANYONE DUMB ENOUGH to use it for anything more than testing compatibility of YOUR OWN CODE... well, deserves what they get; as it WILL bite you in the ass sooner or later.

That said, it's not like Safari is any better -- after all, what's first to fall at every Pwn2Own competition of the past DECADE?

... and that said, at least nobody here (that I noticed reading the thread) said "wait, people still use IE" or "who cares, hasn't it lost 60% market share" or any such nonsense like you'll find on pretty much EVERY web development forum right now; Love that one which crops up every time a topic like this comes along; web developers try to use it as an excuse for not supporting certain browsers when the conclusion of "market share" is usually one big fat card-stacking lie.

See... sure, IE has dropped from 95% of the market in early 2004 to anywhere from 25% to 50% of the market depending on who's numbers you use right now -- but the number of people online has grown from 750 million to 2.9 billion users in the same time period. Now I'm no mathematical genius, but last time I checked 95% of 750 million is 712 million. 25% of 2.9 billion is 725 million... Guess what, while allegedly "losing" 70% of the market they gained 13 million users -- meaning they haven't lost jack ****.

Sad as it is, there are more people using IE today than there were back when IE 6 was "the only browser that mattered"!

One of those cautionary tales of "don't let people use percentages to lie to you" as a percentage, particularly when used for "share" means absolutely nothing without asking "Yeah, but a percentage of what?"

Still, anyone still using IE probably doesn't know enough about computers to be making choices on what software to use -- but NEWS FLASH, that probably describes 90% of users in first-world nations. Even sadder, many users in third world nations know more about it as they have to so they can even get online in the first place.

I found this chart to be interesting when looking for a way to undo the new stupid UI interface of the latest Firefox. The suggestions are that Firefox is trying to look more like Chrome.

Probably depends who you ask though. Here's another chart for browser usage per December 2013:

Firefox 29 is an unresponsive pile of crap on this box. IE 8 on the other hand is very spritely. Off back to the Opera camp I think.

That's better. The Fisher Price look will have to do.

The IE 8 update was installed as soon as it was fired up.

This is another inherited XP box. Firefox gone and previous to that biffed Norton 360. What a difference it's made.

Last edited:
I just wanted to throw in two things about IE.

a) it is devil spawn
b) it's popularity not only comes from it being the default. A lot of corporations use it because it ties in nicely with MS security policies etc. Admins can easily choose what features of IE that are enabled and roll them out over large networks / departments. So many users have no choice (at work).

As for UI changes, I've been getting very frustrated lately. Not because there are changes, but because I can't understand how they're "better", often it seems less functional / harder to use after the change.

As for UI changes, I've been getting very frustrated lately. Not because there are changes, but because I can't understand how they're "better", often it seems less functional / harder to use after the change.
It's the Cult of Progress, the people that believe that All Change Is Good and Change Must Not Be Questioned. They've just about completely taken over software development in the last ten or fifteen years.

Back