• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Deskmate for Tandy 2500 XL/2

facattack

Veteran Member
I'm trying to install Deskmate onto a 486 Packard Bell 610 w/ DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11. Well, I put the disks in the drive and I noticed that there are no .exe or .com files. Just .PDM. I guess back in the day, this stood for Personal Desk Mate. And when I put the MS-DOS 3 disk in my drive, it doesn't recognize my C drive.

I'm pretty sure I used to own a 2500 XL/2... or maybe a 3000-something. It had Windows 95 installed, had a hard drive, a CD-ROM, a 3.5, and a 5.25. Some jerk stole it. :( So it was my intention to replace it with the Packard Bell.

Old-Skool dot org doesn't cover Tandys above 1000. So where do I look for information about newer Tandys?

How do I install and run Deskmate on the Packard Bell? I'm so confused.

There were two (3?) versions of DeskMate. One is a generic version, for "any" IBM-compatible, and the other would install only on Tandy Hardware. The Tandy-only version was distributed two different ways, one with all the files needed on disk, and the other was for Tandys that have the DM executables in ROM, so only the apps, data files, etc are on floppy. Sounds like that's the version you have.

--T

Ah, in that case I'll download the disk images for the "any" version off of Old Skool's ftp site. Thanks. Then I can copy the .PDM files into the proper directories.

Back