• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Did ever exist an 8-bit ISA card for ATA (IDE) hard drives?

Could that limit not be broken by Dynamic Drive Overlay (DDO) software such as EZBIOS, as you would do on later AT+ machines?

Recall that DDO's use their own low-level driver, not the BIOS one.

I doubt that the I/O port mappings directly correspond to a standard ATA setup. There's usually some sort of adaptation employed to handle the 16-bit to 8-bit translation. In particular, note the 2Kx8 SRAM--that's not part of a usual ATA adapter.

Last edited:
Don't forget there were also many "hardcards" which marry the drive and controller onto the card. Does that qualify? Not sure if you can decouple them and wire up a different drive to the card, but there's an 8-bit IDE-ish HDD adapter for you.

The only period-appropriate 8-bit IDE adapter I own is a Silicon Valley ADP50. The rest are XT-IDE variants of various flavors.

The only period-appropriate 8-bit IDE adapter I own is a Silicon Valley ADP50. The rest are XT-IDE variants of various flavors.

Another period-appropriate card was the AccuLogic sIDE-1/16.

The sIDE-1 was an IDE-XT (XTA, 8-bit IDE, whatever you want to call it...) card while the sIDE-1/16 was to use regular IDE-AT / ATA drives with an XT-class machine.

acculogic-110-00415-00-side-116-isa-card-1.39__69696.1490150198.jpg

Back