• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Disabling Floppy Controller on Dell Optiplex G1? ImageDisk

atod

Experienced Member
Folks,

I'm trying to create an "ImageDisk" system to image my 8" floppy CP/M disks. This system will be using an Adaptec SCSI card with floppy controller built into the card. I need to *disable* the motherboard floppy controller to get this working.

I read the manual for the Dell below (found on Ebay) and it didn't have a jumper to do this. It indicates in BIOS there is an "Integrated Devices" section, where "Diskette Interface" is listed as follows:

* Diskette Interface controls the operation of the system's built-in diskette drive controller. With Auto (the default option) selected, the system turns off the built-in diskette drive controller when necessary to accommodate a controller card installed in an expansion slot. With Write Protect selected, nothing can be written to diskette drives and tape drives using the system's built-in diskette drive controller. (The system can still read from the drives.) When this option is selected, the Auto option (whereby the system turns off the built-in diskette drive controller as necessary) is also in effect. Selecting Off turns off the built-in diskette/tape drive controller; this option is used primarily for troubleshooting purposes.

Does anyone recall if "Turning Off" the built-in diskette drive controller will let me using the one in my Adaptec SCSI card?

Pic of the computer to refresh memory:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks so much!

Thanks. I hope so. It's beginning to get expensive trying to get this system working. I'm pretty sure I need to build a S-100 bus terminator too. Finding a cheap prototype board should be fun...

Well, I use a substitute controller (WD1002-FOX-F004) on at least one of my P3 systems and disable the onboard controller in the BIOS; it works just fine. Some 286 and early 386 systems had issues with disabling the onboard controller, but I can't recall details.

...I'm pretty sure I need to build a S-100 bus terminator too. Finding a cheap prototype board should be fun...
Squeezing it into that Dell will be even more fun ;-)

Just curious: Why can't you just use the onboard controller, especially if you're just reading?

And doesn't Andrew N8VEM still have some cheap S100 prototype boards?

I'm writing because I have no bootable media.

Andrew is out. I have my name in for a order.

Back