• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.
  • Here are the results of the VCF East 2022 Post Event Survey: Survey Results

Disk Drive Collection

'Georgy Papantoniou'

Experienced Member
In the past I have disassembled a few PCs I came across. Some parts of them have been lost, but I still have several drives.
Currently I have a 2001 CD ROM, 2002 DVD ROM, 1990s 3.5" inch Floppy drive, 2002 250Mb ZIP Drive, a WD800 hard drive and a seagate barracuda hard drive.

I know it is not much, only 6 drives, and they are not exactly vintage. But I have the ambition to extend this small collection. I would love to have in my collection some old full height MFM hard drives, and 5.25 inch floppy drives from the 1980s.

Do you know any other bizarre/rare drives that would be worth to collect, e.g a tape drive, JAZ drive, magneto-optical drives? I would like to here any suggestions about it!

'Georgy Papantoniou'

Experienced Member
I want a MFM drive to be only spinning, just to hear its glorious sound! As i mentioned in other posts I want at least one working 5.25 drive to create game discs for my Olivetti , but I wouldn't mind to buy other drives that are non functional

arrow_runner

Veteran Member
I usually save the 5.25" 'bigfoot' style hard drives rather than sending them to the scrapper. It's probably just me but I think they're neat looking especially if it's one with a shiny plate on it.

Also the tiny 1.8" zif hard drives are cute.

Stone

10k Member
Here's a couple of full height drives I have that spin up but won't take a LLF:

☞ Micropolis 1325

☞ Maxtor XT-2190

I also have some half height MFM drives that spin up but won't take a LLF. If you'd like to know what those are lemme know and I'll list them too.

I have these old 5.25" floppies that don't work:

☞ YD-360B

☞ YD-380 (1.2MB) Made for IBM in Japan

☞ Magnetic Peripherals MOD 9428 01

☞ Panasonic JU-455-7BBM

'Georgy Papantoniou'

Experienced Member
That's a great collection, Stone! Do the hard drives use SCSI connectors? What other half height drives you have and what's their age/capacity?

I believe a vintage drive collection is great, since it doesn't take nearly as much space as a computer collection, but it's still impressing.

Stone

10k Member
These drives are MFM and they're available if you're interested.

I'll take a look at the other half height drives I have for sale and post them later.