• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Do anybody have Microsoft Sort/IBM PCSORT

johnlemon555

I'm looking for Microsoft Sort/IBM PCSORT does anybody have it. I looked all over the Internet and did not find it.

discontinued-microsoft-developer-products^1983^microsoft-sort-box.jpg

There's a copy of the IBM PC version 1.00 here:

Were there other systems of this type?

Quite a while ago, I ended up looking after a system running in the USA (Baltimore) that was written using CBASIC (the DOS version). This used a sort utility, that was called from the CBASIC prog. I will still have a copy of the prog, somewhere with all the source for the complete system.

BUT, I never saw any documentation for it, I don't know much about it, I just left it alone and simply copied the calling routine from parts of the system where it was already working. However, I don't think it was IBM?

For a big dataset, the process was pretty efficient and seemed to work well. But, I seem to remember that for a small dataset, much less so. In such a case I think I decided to replace the SORT util with my own code using QS, which appeared to be much faster.

Geoff

Further to my note above, I've traced the program I was referring to in one of my archives.

This comprises a single .EXE, SORTRES.EXE, dated 28/11/88, 29.7k. Looking in this file reveals credits to Opt-Tech (c) 1983, 1988, v.4.0f. The software is loaded to be memory resident, and must be called by the working application. I assume it's not as sophisticated as the MS version - or was I using only part of it?

Geoff

Hm, interesting.

A quick Google.

I didn't expect this, but this system is alive and well and seems to have spread from DOS to Windows and Linux as well. There is info on the DOS version that I'll have to check out as it will shed some light on the version I was using back about 1990(?).

Is the MS version still 'live'? I've never heard of it.

Geoff

Back