• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does anyone else find this disturbing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course the change has been to insulate the user from the tech and has been so successful that people really dont have a clue.

Is that a bad thing?

Maybe :)

Thanks--I really appreciate the support.

On the topic point, this appears to be just evolution.

How many here have an interest, or even knowledge, of old mainframes of the past? (Those of us who've passed their seventh decade on this vale of tears don't count--we've had first-hand experience.)

How many of you out here know how the embedded MPUs work, from a light bulb or USB charger to your mobile phone? They're literally everywhere--and your car likely has several.

Time marches on...

For example, how many EE students today are, as a problem, asked to design a floating point add-subtract unit? It was for me, back in the day of slide rules and T-squares.

One thing in the computer's favor, is that I can look something up in seconds, whereas when I was a kid in school, it meant a trip to the library or over to one of my friend's house whose family had an encyclopedia. I have to give a thumbs up to computers. (y)
Look up Peking Duck then ;)

You have all but laughed at the plight of millions of people.. And you like to instigate things.
You think this is funny? You are sick...

I may have unpopular opinions at times but I respect a debat and having several parties make thier own claims. But you, you just constantly instigate problems.. You clearly get off on it.

You have all but laughed at the plight of millions of people.. And you like to instigate things.
You think this is funny? You are sick...

I may have unpopular opinions at times but I respect a debat and having several parties make thier own claims. But you, you just constantly instigate problems.. You clearly get off on it.
You really do have an overactive imagination to say the least.

I am still a student, how people would not know about this is baffling. Usually it has been my experience with my grandparents that they don't know how to get to certain folders because they never used the concept (Just the downloads folder is where everything is).

I have the feeling everyone I know knows how to use folders, but now you got me thinking "what if" they didn't.

Files and folders are metaphors. As the amount of paper files and folders people work with continues to decline, those metaphors may need to change. Remember when a list of files used to be described as a card catalog? But when libraries eliminated their card catalogs 30+ years ago, that metaphor became obsolete. Same thing with referring to search engines as the "yellow pages" of the Internet.

Change for the sake of change! DAMNIT!!!!! If all the young people start thinking (and this could very well happen as they are an odd bunch) dressers and drawers are an outdated practice and hang thier clothes in plastic bags from trees are we going to start referring to them as limbs and branches?!

There are PLENTY of stupid words in the english language, but they have been around for so long people know them... the word "plumb" when referring to something being straight or true in contruction..... Is that going to change to "nice"

Why in recent years is there this constant need to make slang into the new word to use and replace existing words? To be different? Screw being different,, more people need to try and be the status quo on some things.. they might find the feeling new and unique...

Change for the sake of change! DAMNIT!!!!! If all the young people start thinking (and this could very well happen as they are an odd bunch) dressers and drawers are an outdated practice and hang thier clothes in plastic bags from trees are we going to start referring to them as limbs and branches?!

There are PLENTY of stupid words in the english language, but they have been around for so long people know them... the word "plumb" when referring to something being straight or true in contruction..... Is that going to change to "nice"

Why in recent years is there this constant need to make slang into the new word to use and replace existing words? To be different? Screw being different,, more people need to try and be the status quo on some things.. they might find the feeling new and unique...
Buzzwords. People are dumb and they want tech that is new and shiny. Recent examples include "apps" and "the cloud."

Buzzwords. People are dumb and they want tech that is new and shiny. Recent examples include "apps" and "the cloud."
I know,, I cant NOT hear those words rattled off daily. I remember when they were called "PROGRAMS" and THE "INTERNET". Which is what I still call them.

I know,, I cant NOT hear those words rattled off daily. I remember when they were called "PROGRAMS" and THE "INTERNET". Which is what I still call them.
Remember when people called it cyberspace? I recently came across a New York Times article from 1995 that referred to "cybernauts". I'm glad we don't use that one anymore!

So what now you dont want to be a member of our cybernauts party?

I am glad I dont have to hear people with very little computer skills say "surfing" incessantly.

I like to surf on the information superhighway in cyberspace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back