• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Doin' it Foxworthy style...

Terry Yager

Veteran Member
Me and my kid have been kicking this around for a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd post a few of our observations...

You might be from Michigan if...

-You've ever used your heater and air-conditioner within twenty minutes of each other.

-You know more than three nicknames for Ted Nugent (Uncle Ted, The Great Gonzo, MotorCity Madman, Nugie, daNuge, etc, etc).

-You have ever had to re-primer your truck.

-You know three or more recepies for a 'Coney Island' hot dawg (Detriot style, Flint style, Saginaw style, etc).

-If you call coat-hangers 'Mechanic's Wire'..

-If you consistantly refer to a hot dawg as 'a Kogel'.

-If you know what a 'Hamady Sack' is.

-If you carry around a couple bags of sand in your trunk, just in case you find yourself in a ditch and need a little extra traction.

-If you've ever slipped on ice and busted a hole in the brand-new shorts you're wearing.

-If 'UP' is a destination, not a direction.

-If you refer to Detroit as 'HockeyTown'.

-If you know the difference between a 'Yooper' and a 'Troll'.

-If a 'Big Mac' is something other than a style of hamburger.

-If your nephew's school picture shows him wearing a RedWings jersey and holding a baseball bat (wanna see da pic? I should be getting a copy of it soonly).

--T

Last edited:
oh yes!

oh yes!

-You know three or more recepies for a 'Coney Island' hot dawg (Detriot style, Flint style, Saginaw style, etc).

I know what I'm making to eat tonight.

The best meal ever created is a fusion of Michigan and Québec junk foods.

A Coney dog with a big bowl of Poutine. mmmmm

yeah, I'm on my way to the doctor just thinking about it.

mryon said:
A Coney dog with a big bowl of Poutine. mmmmm

mmmmm Poutine... I noticed that it says you are from Sunnyvale, CA? Are you making the Coney dog and Poutine yourself?

Cheers,

80sFreak
(and from Ontario, *Canada*, eh) ;)

but of course...

but of course...

sure, like the original said, I am a Michigander and know several recipies for Coney sauce. ;)

The Poutine on the other hand, is beyond simple to make. If you can find fresh chees curds. Which can be hard but I've got a supplier here. :)

-mikol

80sFreak said:
mmmmm Poutine... I noticed that it says you are from Sunnyvale, CA? Are you making the Coney dog and Poutine yourself?

Cheers,

80sFreak
(and from Ontario, *Canada*, eh) ;)

Some folks become grossed-out when we reveal the 'secret ingredient' in Flint Original Coney Island Sauce...organ meat!
Hey, we have a local TacoJoint (LaFamillia, on 5th Ave.) that is very popular too, but a lot of people freak when I inform them that the viscous liquid running down thier arm is pure melted lard, (a very important staple in the Mexican diet)! You know that it's an authentic taco when you bite into one end, and the grease squirts out the other!

--T

mryon said:
The Poutine on the other hand, is beyond simple to make. If you can find fresh chees curds. Which can be hard but I've got a supplier here. :)

-mikol

Where do you get your cheese curds? It seems like they don't sell them in America but pretty much every grocery store in Canada has them :(

Cheers,

80sFreak

P.S. And speaking of things different in USA/Canada, what is up with the hard lemonade / wine coolers / etc in the US? For instance, Mike's Hard Lemonade in the US is a malt beverage but the Mike's Hard Lemonade in Canada is *real* hard lemonade??!!

80sFreak said:
Where do you get your cheese curds? It seems like they don't sell them in America but pretty much every grocery store in Canada has them :(

Cheers,

80sFreak

P.S. And speaking of things different in USA/Canada, what is up with the hard lemonade / wine coolers / etc in the US? For instance, Mike's Hard Lemonade in the US is a malt beverage but the Mike's Hard Lemonade in Canada is *real* hard lemonade??!!

I've noticed the same thing with beer too, Molson's or LaBatt's in Canada taste a lot better in Canada than they do here.

--T

cheese!

cheese!

Go to any cheese maker, they'll usualy be happy to make some for you if they don't already have them ready to go.

The problem is, they have to be FRESH. If they are more than a day or two old you don't get the cool squeak when you bite into them.

I've not done it myself but they are easy to make yourself.

Now, if I could find some all-dressed chips in California, I'd be happy.

80sFreak said:

Cheers,

80sFreak

nope...

nope...

The cheese curds used for Poutine are basically unaged cheddar.

Nothing else works quite right. They don't melt but rather soften and the edges become a little less distinct. ;)

Aged cheddar doesn't have the same texture and melts too much.

I suppose if they made extra super dooper large curd cottage cheese that might work. ;)

Terry Yager said:
Couldn't you just buy ordinary cottage cheese and wash the cream away? Or even skim milk, and let it go bad?

--T

cottage cheese no squeak

cottage cheese no squeak

mryon said:
I suppose if they made extra super dooper large curd cottage cheese that might work. ;)

But I have never had cottage cheese that squeaked when I ate it! ;)

Cheers,

80sFreak

P.S. Thanks for reminding me about *fresh* cheese curds... It has been sooo long since I have had them..

P.P.S. This place (http://www.canadaonly.ca/) from Victoria, BC has Ruffles All-Dressed and will ship anywhere in the world...

Back