• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DOS 3.30 Batch File Input option?

CrashOverride

I need a little help with DOS 3.30. I read through the manual and I don't see a way to do this; I'm sure I'm missing something. I wrote a quick batch file that displays a menu of options and then asks for user input. Based on the number selection, it goes to a subroutine and runs the chosen program with some parameters. Works great on the Windows machine where I wrote it, and of course does not work on the XT.

Here's the command that I am using on the modern pc side that works fine:

SET /P M=Type Selection and Press ENTER:

On the modern pc, this prompts for user input and assigns the input as variable M. It then checks what the input is, and either goes to a subroutine that runs the program with some parameters, or exits. For example:

IF %M%==X EXIT

Is there a way to do this in DOS 3.30?

you can try the CHOICE.COM command from DOS 6.20. if you have a modern computer, you can type CHOICE /? in the command prompt for help

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Looks like I'll have to change the script slightly as that appears to only allow one keypress and I have more than 9 options, but that's easy - I'll just switch to letters. I'll dig out my copy of 6.2 and grab the choice.com executable and see if that works.

Getting closer! I grabbed the choice.com file off Dos 6.2 and re-wrote the batch file to use it. Unfortunately, when I ran it, the choice file requires Dos 4.0 or higher. Nothing is easy for me...

I noticed there is a PowerMenu application on the hard drive, I may play around with that, or just upgrade to 4.

That works! Thanks for the links. I tell you I really took the newer versions of DOS for granted. I started out with DOS 5.0 back in the day, this 3.30 installation has given me a few interesting challenges. I am really enjoying working with this XT.

Back