• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Drive cases for external 3.5" drives

FishFinger

Experienced Member
Do these exist?

I've got two 3.5" DD drives which I've modified to work on a couple of 8-bit machines (BBC Micro and a ZX Spectrum +3), but they're bare drives meant to mount internally, so I need some kind of enclosures for them. Searching just turns up USB floppy drives and cases meant for those slimline laptop style drives, but nothing that will take a standard size 3.5" drive.

I know I could use a 5.25" case with 3.5" adaptor rails, and I have a couple of dead SCSI CD-ROMs I could part out, but ideally I'd like something a bit more compact.

I don't recall seeing any cases specifically for that purpose but there should be cases out there that would suit albeit needing modification, Or maybe if you can find a BackPack 3.5" external floppy drive ?.

3.5" external SCSI cases would have enough room. Fully enclosed cases for hard disks were very common, but there were also versions with a front opening intended for things like DAT and magneto-optical drives. 3.5" wide, but usually half-height rather than the third-height you'd want for a floppy drive (or the two-thirds height you'd want for a pair). Despite the slight difference, it might be a good starting point.

When I've had oddball-sized drives to enclose, I just used some acrylic sheet (3/16" thickness), cut it and cemented it together with the appropriate solvent cement. Paint is optional.

Back