• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.
  • Here are the results of the VCF East 2022 Post Event Survey: Survey Results

drivers for an odd sound card

evildragon

Veteran Member
I need to find drivers for an odd chip, it's onboard to this 486 system of mine.

I tried searching but got nowhere. Driver needs to be for DOS..

It's an ESS AudioDrive ES688F

I can find Windows drivers for it, but just not the DOS ones. If I can get this driver, the system will be complete.

evildragon

Veteran Member
I don't know the IRQ or anything of this chip. It's soldered onto the motherboard, and has no listing. The system doesn't even have a BIOS, it's all count RAM and go. There used to be a HD partition to configure this machine but that HD has since died..

StickByDos

I have a laptop Toshiba T2150CDT which has ESS688

Google for ESS688 win 3.1 drivers

ESSCFG.EXE and ESSVOL.EXE which come with the driver are dos setup utilities

modem7

Veteran Member
I found this on the Internet: "I have a ESS Soundcard( ES688F). According to the HOWTO and the docs I am supposed to set it up as a Soundblaster."

From that we know that the ES688F emulates a Sound Blaster (at least a basic one).

Your ES688F is built into the motherboard rather than being on a sound card, but maybe the motherboard has the ES688F accessed at the same IO address, interrupt, etc. as a Sound Blaster that's set to default settings (and maybe the IO address, interrupt, etc. can be changed in the CMOS setup).

So pretend that you have a Sound Blaster. Per that earlier thread, add an appropriate 'SET BLASTER=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' line in your AUTOEXEC.BAT, reboot the system, and see how you go.

creepingnet

Veteran Member
I had one of those chips in an old 486 laptop once, I recall finding an ESS 688 driver on the internet somewhere and working out for me. ESS AudioDrive cards are not that uncommon. The 488 and 688 were actually 2 of the more common ones in the lesser known brands of 80486 based Laptop in the early 1990s. They still made cards with ESS AudioDrive chips well into the early 2000s, I had an ESS 1869 in one of My 80486 boxes around 2001. I might look at the CD and see if I can find the 688 drivers on it.

Last edited: