• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dvorak vs. Qwerty

Brendan

Experienced Member
Flipping through two Apple //c books recently shipped to me by Jibbajaba (thanks!), I noticed they both showed the Qwerty and Dvorak keyboard layouts that were available for that system. I'm also aware of (older) keyboards that allow you to switch keymappings as well as software keymapping changes (Unix xmodmap, for instance). This made me wonder:

- How many of you have used a Dvorak keyboard or keyboard mapping in the past?
- Can you actually touch type on it without looking at the keys?
- Can you, personally, switch back and forth fairly easily between a Querty and a Dvorak layout and still touch type on each?

I occasionally consider trying to switch over as I type a fair amount of code/logic/email daily and I also wonder if it makes sense to help my (currently quite young) daughter get used to both layouts. I wonder, too, if this has become a completely moot point and the old legacy typewriter jam-avoiding layout will be with us forever...

Moderators: Sorry if this belongs in off-topic. The Dvorak keyboard layout (for better or for worse) seems to have fallen by the wayside, so I wasn't sure if it was considered "vintage" or not.

I can personally touch type on both without needed to look at the keys; I don't know anyone other then me who can where I live.

For example my keyboard now is a Dvorak, however on my laptop I'm not able to change the keys so I use Qwerty for it.

There's a lot proving that the Dvorak layout is better then Qwerty for comfort, speed , makes more sense, and has a smaller learning curve. I can type about 45 WPM on a Dvorak and 30 WPM on Qwerty witch is a huge difference when I'm typing a class paper. I will say that while Dvorak is good and easy for most people it's not for all people.

Last edited:
Personally, I think Dvorak is a pompous windbag, and I haven't heard of this Qwerty guy... :p

I have tinkered with Dvorak in the past, and at one point was able to touch type Dvorak almost as fast as I could on Qwerty.

I do have a friend who went Dvorak-only (within limits, of course,) for a couple years. After about a month, he was able to type faster on Dvorak than he could on Qwerty; and could switch between the two with very little transition time. He had Dvorak at home, and moved to a new job that required he use a system that he wasn't allowed to change the layout of, so he switched between them daily. He said it took a week or two to get used to switching, but eventually, it became second nature. He had muscle memory that knew that one keyboard was Qwerty and the other Dvorak, and didn't have any problems.

II also wonder if it makes sense to help my (currently quite young) daughter get used to both layouts. I wonder, too, if this has become a completely moot point and the old legacy typewriter jam-avoiding layout will be with us forever...

The latter I think Brendon. I don't think it would be worth a child learning Dvorak now. For better or worse, QWERTY has won that battle.

Tez

This discussion makes me remember the German keyboard layout... They used (or are still using?) QWERTZ instead of QWERTY... They switched the "Z" and "Y" keys...

I have a couple of old computers from Germany with this annoying feature. :)

// Z

Hi
The Canon Cat has all these types of keyboards built in,
including the ability to do all the superscripts for the foriegn
languages. It even has a typewriter keyboard that is slightly
different than what it calls an ASCII keyboard.
It was intended to be used internationally. When
looking through the selections of keyboard combination
I came on one the had no description. It turns out
that this one was for South Africa. At the time there
was a lot of strong feelings about apartide.
Some of the keyboard selections would require different
key tops. The US keyboard was the standard but doesn't
have the < and > characters above the , and . When using
the ASCII, I just have to remember where these are.
Dwight

I actually have and use keyboards with the German and Turkish layouts (I'm typing on the Turkish keyboard now) in addition to my US English keyboards. Getting used to any keyboard layout is just a matter of comfort and choice. If it works for you, use it. I've never had a reason to switch over to Dvorak--but if it turns out I need it someday, no problem.

Back